How do u test for an accurate load?

I don't do it the same way every time. I usually start with Bergers and go from there. I start 1.5-2g below max. I pick a length and load up 4 shots of each powder charge with .2 or .3g increments. Somewhere I fall into a powder charge that the gun likes. Rarely is it at or above max. Once I get a good load I change the seating depth if necessary. The pain in the rear is that the gun may not like one of the components and you may have to start nearly all the way over but with different primers, powder, bullets. In my 6BRX it took several hundred round to go from 105Berger, Varget, 205M to a 105Lapua, RL15, CCI BR4 load. There was some screwing around but it was still a fair bit of work.

I don't do it the same way every time. I usually start with Bergers and go from there. I start 1.5-2g below max. I pick a length and load up 4 shots of each powder charge with .2 or .3g increments. Somewhere I fall into a powder charge that the gun likes. Rarely is it at or above max. Once I get a good load I change the seating depth if necessary. The pain in the rear is that the gun may not like one of the components and you may have to start nearly all the way over but with different primers, powder, bullets. In my 6BRX it took several hundred round to go from 105Berger, Varget, 205M to a 105Lapua, RL15, CCI BR4 load. There was some screwing around but it was still a fair bit of work.

I know your pain! I've worn out a couple of barrels testing:D.....Rich

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.