Quick question about loading for an encore...

OKbow87

My boss has asked me if I can load him some ammo for his encore 25-06 for his antelope hunt later this year. I was just gonna ask for a few recomendations on what bullet he should shoot for shots only out to about 400 max. The barrel is 26" 1:10 twist.

The other main question that I needed to know was what exactly do i need to look for as far as pressure signs, since there wont be an extractor mark like a bolt gun. I am assuming I just need to look for the primers being pushed out or cratering? Thanks for you guys input.

Have you thought about the liability issues you are opening yourself up to if something goes wrong?
If it was me, I would tell him that I could show him the ropes if he wants to learn how to reload, but he will be the one assembling his ammo, not me.
Otherwise just point him in the direction of some good factory fodder.
Seriously, liability-wise you would have your neck stuck way, way out there. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Liability?
From what it sounds like you know what your doing. I have loaded for many of my buddies. I guess I'm just too nice but I like to see what my loads can do in the feild. Kind of a since of accomplishment. Plus, anything that I load would be tested by me.

In the Encore, sticky extraction is one of the better pressure signs to watch for. The extractor system on these rifles is pretty week and you will feel sticky extraction long before you would on a bolt rifle.

That said, always watch for flattened primers, primer cratering and such.

With the Encore, they will generally shoot the best if the rounds chamber easily. A snug fitting case will often cause fliers with these rifles. As such you need to size the cases more then would be common for a bolt rifle and as such you may see more case stretching as a result.

Simply put, a chronograph is the single best way to get an accurate idea what your pressures are doing. Velocity is a direct result of chamber pressure and time.

When loading for others or customers I always load to what the recognized loading manuals tell you to, to the letter. These are proven loads and while they may not be the very top potential a certain rifle or round can produce, they will certainly get the job done and will keep you from paying some lawyors kids way through school.

Best thing to do is include your boss in the process. Have him come over and be involved in the process.

Again, do not look to hotrod loads for someone else, will just get you in trouble. You are looking to load for total reliability in all conditions because you do not know where they may be used.

For pronghorns, temps can range from below freezing to near 100 degrees so you need to load your ammo accordingly.

Remember there is some degree of liability issues you are taking on here. Some I know make guys sign waivers to use their ammo. That is up to you. Legally I am not sure how much water that holds but I know several guys that do it.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

I have an Encore with the 26" heavy barrel and this is the load I use that gives great results on our small deer down here (150lbs is a big buck)

56gr of R-22 with a 100Gr Nosler Ballistic tip seated to the lands. I full length resize the cases and use Federal 210M primers.
I have gone as high as 58grs with no pressure signs but accuracy fell off.
the velocity with this load is in the 3250 range it will creep as high as 3300 with 90deg temps and fall to 3220's with cold weather.
the R-22 has given me the best combination of accuracy and velocity.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts