Quick Load Question

Can you add a little more. What do you mean loads have gone down? Just trying to gain some knowledge and be able to not have the blank WTH did you just say look if I heard this again.
From my experience, if you take for example Lyman 46 edition, and Lyman 49th edition, in some of the calibers I used with IMR4350 the mxa loads has been reduced. I contact4ed IMR (Hodgdon actually as they own it) if the powder has changed. Their response was

"No, the formula for the IMR 4350 has not changed since it was first brought in the early 1950's. Data does change as the ability to more accurately measure the pressure goes up and brass and especially primers and bullets have changed a great deal. As a rule, primers are much hotter than they used to be and they contribute much more energy to the load now. Brass is different in capacity from brand to brand and bullets are generally longer in bearing surface as well as being of a harder gilding metal. All of these things drive pressure up meaning the data has to be reduced to keep the pressures from being excessively high"

So in my opinion, he is partially correct! again, My opionion!

buy some old loading manual...60's
buy some new manual and compare the current to the old
there have been some decreases in max loads.
my opinion is that copper crusher pressure is nowhere near as accurate as
electronic pressure.

I think it is quite obvious that the manufacturers and providers of loading manuals, and factory ammunition in a lot of cases have been the victims of law suits to the point of lowering pressure and and becoming increasingly conservative.
All of my loading books from the late 1950's to the current day show this. I have Winchester 220 Swift ammo dated in the early 1960's that actually recorded 4100 + fps (just as it was advertised back in the day) out of my pre 64 Model 70 when fired over my Magnetospeed. I don't think you will find that with any current production Swift ammo from the major manufacturers.
I use quickload all the time to check different powders that the books don't list for given cartridges. This is a huge benefit, especially now with limited powder availability.

For brass case sizes below 50 grains capacity I usually start about 3.0-4.0 grains below manual max load and increment up about .3 to .4 grains per load until I find pressure signs.

For brass case sizes above 50 grains I usually start about 4.0-5.0 grains below manual max load and increment up .4- .5 grains per load until I find pressure signs.

Once you find pressure signs, I would look for stable velocity nodes (hopefully an accuracy node as well) about a grain or more below the pressure signs depending on the severity of the pressure signs. Search this website for more information about pressure signs.

I would expect most reloading books would cover this topic although their guidance may be more conservative. Based on your question you should probably follow a reloading manual for guidance until your experience and confidence grows. I suggest buying the current manual from the bullet manufacturer whose bullets you are loading.
Nothing wrong with what you do. 2 bits of my experience…. I find Quickload max to be a true MAX. Possibly over max. I would strongly suggest that be considered before loading using Quickload.

Also, I find most people a relatively poor judge of pressure. It is not always linear nor consistent. I had 350 Legend book loads blowing out primer pockets…99% sure that was the brass, but still eye opening.

Books don't show these methods because no lawyer wants you finding MAX outside a pressure test barrel in a lab.

Things change all the time. Longer, shorter barrel lengths. Powder burn rates with different lots. Twist rate has to be watched also. So if you get a different patch of powder or primers, you need to take a little care and down load a few cases to see if you have any pressures signs. The newer reload manuals are using faster twist rates with there reloading info. So take care in any changes that will come as things change. Trying to get enough powder at one time with the same lot, to burn out a barrel is really hard now presently. I haven't really had any problem with different lots of powder or primers, just lucky I guess, but I still take care not to get into trouble.