Questions

I have a .54 black powder cap & ball rifle made in the 1970s by Western Arms/Uberti.

I have Goex FFg. How much is safe to shoot from this. I am thinking not to exceed 150 gr., but have a minimum of 100 gr.

Who makes a good cleaning kit for BP rifles?

My dad shot a .52 ball out of this. Can I shoot a sabot out of it also?

Thank you for your replies,

Troy

When I was shooting a 54 cal. Hawkins by Thompson about 120 gr. was about all the 28 inch barrel would burn. That was with a .530 round ball. Anything more than that was just blown out the barrel. This doesn't apply with anything but black powder.....the others need to be measured by volumn not weight. Sabots would be just fine, a bit hard to find, but they're out there. Same load usually works for those as well.

Given the date of manufacture, the twist is probably too slow for sabots. See if the twist is stamped on it, anything slower than 1:48 and it is unlikely to work.

Magnum muzzleloaders were not known in the 70s, I would stay around 120gr of powder or less. 100gr will kill anything you are likely to hunt with it.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.