Austin & Hellack Questions

sam1586

Recently I purchased an Austin Hellack .50 cal inline; serial # 0003979(no model # listed), and it is the Weston MO manufacture. Unfortunately it had no instruction manual with it.
Does anyone know where I can get a manual, and anyone have any experience with optimal loads. I am not going to be shooting at great distances, but don't want the targer to look like I was using 00 buckshot.
Thanks,
Sam

Mine shoots PR Bullets 195gr duplex sabot with the sub base very well @ 100yds. I use 110gr Blackhorn and a CCI 209 mag primer. I have not shot past 100yds with it.

G

It's been a while since i had mine but if i remember correctly i was simply putting in 3 pyrodex pellets (50 gr. Ea.) and i was using a barnes sabot. Mine used a percusion cap and i had no issues with hangfires or misfires. As far as accuracy it outshot any muzzleloader i ever had or had since i foolishly let it go to a new home. I have heard the company has closed it's doors so finding a manual for it may be troublsome. It's a real shame because they were simply the most beautiful inline ever made. Not like this plastic crap they throwin' at us now. As you can guess i really miss mine, don't ever let it go.

Thanks to all for the great advice. I was lucky enough to locate a manual; although it appears taking the bolt out may require the skills of a mechanical engineer.
This in-line rivals any centerfire I have ever owned for apperance- absolutely georgous wood on it and incredible bluing and workmanship.
Sam

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.