Muzzeloader 209 primer questions

Try different primers during load development if you can find them and you may be surprised. My Accura with Blackhorn shoots the best groups with Fiocchi 209 primers.

Cva has a shim kit on their web page under the parts page. It shims the firing pin bushing out closer towards the primer for proper "headspace" ...it stops the excessive primer blowby and is a permanent fix rather than use the "oring trick"

There are breechplugs out there made by smokeless muzzleloader builders to allow you to use LR rifle primers with BH209. Been thinking about getting one myself:
Arrowhead
Hankins

Just something else to consider and may give best performance, but it's obviously comes with added cost.

If you have not already done so go to the BH209 web page.. They have a lot of good information. I do all of my big game hunting with a couple of Knight Disc Extremes with their bare metal primer breech plug. You can get a set of welding tip cleaners to keep the flash channel clean. With the Knights I also use a drill bit to clean out carbon build up in breech plug. I weight all my loads due to lack of consistency in BH209 between lots. I had a few issues using the muzzleloader version of 209 primers so I switched to Federal 209A ones and no problem. If you are getting blow by on primers you may need to shim the breech plug. The various brands of 209 primers vary in length with the Winchester being the longest. Lots of info at modernmuzzleloader.com. My favorite load is 110 gr(V) of BH209. 300gr. Harvester PTGold bullet with their Black Crush Rib sabot and Federal 209A primer.. 1/2 inch MOA at 100 yds. with my Long Range Hunter and deadly.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.