Muzzeloader 209 primer questions

dazz397

I am new to muzzleloading and no one I know does it so I don't have any one to ask. The forums here seem very helpful so I'm going to try asking here. I decided to buy a CVA Accura V2 and got the blackhorn 209 breechplug for it. Primers are hard to come by these days but I got some remington sts primers from a friend. The primers seem to fit very loosely and doesn't seem like it seats at all. Is this normal? I have attached a picture for reference.

I see people adding O rings to seal the primer. Is this something thats recommended?

Also I notice blackhorn recommends federal 209a and cci 209m magnum primers. Will I have a problem igniting with remington 209 sts primers?

I have not even taken a shot yet so I'm trying figure everything out so I can take it to the range. Thanks for any help in advance.

Attachments

• 20210201_185905.jpg
    20210201_185905.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 182
With the black horn powder you do want to use the federal magnum shotgun primers . It's harder to ignite for sure but man is it good stuff. As for and o- ring I'm not certain

I am new to muzzleloading and no one I know does it so I don't have any one to ask. The forums here seem very helpful so I'm going to try asking here. I decided to buy a CVA Accura V2 and got the blackhorn 209 breechplug for it. Primers are hard to come by these days but I got some remington sts primers from a friend. The primers seem to fit very loosely and doesn't seem like it seats at all. Is this normal? I have attached a picture for reference.

I see people adding O rings to seal the primer. Is this something thats recommended?

Also I notice blackhorn recommends federal 209a and cci 209m magnum primers. Will I have a problem igniting with remington 209 sts primers?

I have not even taken a shot yet so I'm trying figure everything out so I can take it to the range. Thanks for any help in advance.
The Federal primers are very hot and bigger around the CCI primers are second, i have used both and the federals are hotter.

In many cases a regular, full strength, primer will ignite BH209. A lot of shooters just use WIN209 primers and never have a fail to fire or hang fire. Yes, in most cases the magnum primers are best, especially with some of the pP breech plug designs.
The "O" rings that some talk about, is if you get a lot of blow back through the breech plug. Its a band aid approach to a pP designed breech plug.
Follow the directions for seating your BH209 breech plug properly. Then head to the range. When you seat your sabot/bullet on the propellant, seat is hard. Push down with 2 hands.
Keep the flash channel clear of carbon buildup.

I know that it is hard to get primers right now but primers DO MAKE A DIFFERENCE in accuracy. I don't shoot BH209 but with H-777 in my rifle it wanted Win. 209 to shoot the best.

Whatever u do, don't consider moving away from the BH209. Unless u make a switch to a smokeless muzz altogether.
It's good stuff....

In many cases a regular, full strength, primer will ignite BH209. A lot of shooters just use WIN209 primers and never have a fail to fire or hang fire. Yes, in most cases the magnum primers are best, especially with some of the pP breech plug designs.
The "O" rings that some talk about, is if you get a lot of blow back through the breech plug. Its a band aid approach to a pP designed breech plug.
Follow the directions for seating your BH209 breech plug properly. Then head to the range. When you seat your sabot/bullet on the propellant, seat is hard. Push down with 2 hands.
Keep the flash channel clear of carbon buildup.

Can you tell me what "pP" breech plug designs are?

I wanted to follow up after shooting the Remington sts primers. I shot 17 loads from 80 to 110 grains of blackhorn 209 by volume and had 0 issues. I shot 270 grain federal borlocks and got the tightest groups with the 110 grain load.

I did notice that even after just one shot the pinhole flash hole was not visible anymore so I just cleared it with a wire after every shot. Thank you to everyone that replied!

Try weighing your charges to see what they "really" are. I just did some BH 209 by weight and 84 grains is supposed to be 120 by volume but it comes to just under 110 grains when I pour it in the Blackhorn tube so if I had done it by volume I would have been ~8 grains over.
https://www.blackhorn209.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/b209muzzleloaderdata.pdf
I just just got my 1st muzzleloader, a CVA Paramount Pro Colorado(open sights), and shot some groups at 100 yards and am very impressed with it. Shot two nice 3 shot groups with the 325 ELR going 2,280 fps. Had to wear glasses as I couldn't see the bulls eye without them. So far it has been a fun, learning experience.

Attachments

• bbbbhhhh1.jpg
    bbbbhhhh1.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 118
  • bbbbhhhhhh2.jpg
    bbbbhhhhhh2.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 117
The BH tubes are well known to be WAY OFF. IMO they should remove the marks on those tubes.
Get a good volume measure, rather brass or one of the TC see through measures.
Note that different lots of BH will change volume to weights.

OP...I think as long as you use 209 shotgun primers vice 209 muzzleloader primers you will be fine with BH.

I weigh and sort for load dev with Blackhorn just like smokeless. I try not to use my volume measurer.

I went into Michaels and literally asked them where they kept their crack vials.

1A40153A-6681-450D-8C3B-61C7F85D40D5.jpeg

OP...I think as long as you use 209 shotgun primers vice 209 muzzleloader primers you will be fine with BH.

I weigh and sort for load dev with Blackhorn just like smokeless. I try not to use my volume measurer.

I went into Michaels and literally asked them where they kept their crack vials.

View attachment 256354
FYI............. Those tubes from Michael's are really poor for keeping out moisture.
Lane's tubes seal and will not allow moisture into the tubes.

Tested with common household flour, weight added and submerged in water.
Michaels tubes.........
tubes Michaels tubes.JPG

Lane's tubes........

tubes Lane.jpg

FYI............. Those tubes from Michael's are really poor for keeping out moisture.
Lane's tubes seal and will not allow moisture into the tubes.

Tested with common household flour, weight added and submerged in water.
Michaels tubes.........
View attachment 256356

Lane's tubes........

View attachment 256357

Good to know thanks.

So I see you went shopping for crack vials too...

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.