Questions for my .223

MasonG

I have a Savage 10 in .223 with the bull barrel. I just put a Nikon Buckmaster 6-18x40 scope on it. I'm not planning on reloading it just yet, but want to get it ready for groundhogs this summer with factory ammo. My goal would be 400 yards but I atleast want 300 to kill these groundhogs in these big fields. My plan was to zero at 200 yards. Is that a good idea? I then just planned on zeroing the turrets there and knowing the number of clicks for up to 400 yards. Is that a good plan? Anyone have any better ideas? Because trust me I'm new to shooting past 250 yards. Thanks!

I see no problem there. I would zero to 200 shoot 300 to confirm clicks same with 400 make a chart. If u can shoot at 50 yd intervals and record them u should be good to go.

Good luck.

Thanks 257WTBY! That was the plan. I know my Dad's gonna want to use it for a groundhog gun a lot when I'm not using it so a simple click method with a chart taped to the stock should work good.

I grew up in W.Va. Lots of groundhogs died while I was growing up I used my dads .222 and shot them to about 250 reliably. It wasn't the gun that limited me it was the cheap scope that was on it. With a swift and decent scope u should smoke hogs to 400 no sweat.
Goodluck.....

Stop thinking in clicks and start using minutes. Your scope has 1/8 min adjustments and it is marked in minutes. Make your chart by shooting to confirm like was stated above, and use the chart to get your come-ups. A 200yd zero should work for you. Shoot the crap out of it. :)

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts