Questions on my build

bhunting

I am in the final stages of my first custom build and have a few questions. I started with winchester model 70 in a 270wsm, gun was brand new. I had the gunsmith get a bell and carlson medalist stock with the block. He glassed the block in place and glass bedded the rest. We installed a timney trigger and williams bottom metal. After that was all complete we smoothed the stock and had it duracoated green with black fleck. After it was complete I was shooting .4 three shot at a hundred. Since then I questioned replacing the barrel with aftermarket. He then told me if it shoots to leave it be until it needs to be replaced. So I then had him install the brake on it. I am really second quessing not replacing the barrel even though it shoots great. I have topped it with a Zeiss 6.5-20x50 and am going to have turrets made for it. The gun was built for packing and hunting and If I can shoot consitantly to 800 I will be satisfied. Let me know if you think I screwed up by not replacing the barrel.

Thanks

Got a pic? Standard sporter contour barrel?? Sounds like you did just fine to me, but I am new to this game!

If you are shooting .4 it doesn't matter who made the barrel. It shoots great, leave the barrel alone.
I put a custom barrel on a 7 wsm that shot 1/2 inch at 100 and the custom shoots worse than the factory. Not by much but I made a mistake by changing a good thing.

100 yd groups don't reall mean much as far as LR goes. It might even shoot better MOA @ 200 or 300. But the real test will be down range, and if it's inconsistent on the long shot it could be the load (if you have good 200-300 yd groups)

With a custom barrel and good smith, you "might" have got a .3 shooter. One
of the benefits of a custom is that they break-in and clean easier and foul less than factory barrels.

I wouldn't worry, sounds like you got a good shooter.

Thanks for the input guys. It is a standard sporter barrel. It is in getting the break put on it now so I will post pics and soon as I get it back which should be shortly. I also have questions on whether or not to get turrets from Kenton or just use an MOA chart. I live in North Dakota but am going to Wyoming this fall for mule deer and will be hunting anywhere from 5000-9000 ft so I would have to have another turret for that which would cost an extra 110.00.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.