My Story & Several Questions

If you expect shots in dark timber at 75 yards, I don't think you really need any of the scopes you listed. I use a 4-12 X 40 on my elk rifle and it is more than adequate. I've practiced out to 850 yards with the set-up so far, and taken elk as close as 42 yards. If I were you, with the budget you have set, I'd look at the new Leupold VX-6. By the way, I hunt the Root too. mtmuley

You live in the Bitterroot? I'll take a look at the VX-6. I would think Bob Wards or Sportsman's Warehouse would have most of those scopes in stock, wouldn't they?

So, you don't have any problem with target acquisition at 4 power? Like I said, I'm really new to this. I believe both rifles I borrowed had 2X7 Leupolds on them.

You ever get a Unit 270 Muley tag? That is kind of like winning PowerBall, LOL.

Last edited:
Yep, I live in the Root. NE of Corvallis actually. I usually hunt with my scope set at 6 power, and can crank it up when I need to. Took my bull this year at about 60 yards in the timber, but have killed a couple at over 500 yards in the same area. I haven't had any aquisition difficulties. I was in Bob Ward's yesterday to stock up on primers. What a zoo. I didn't look at scopes. Cabela's has the VX-6, and the 2-12x42 is about 900 bucks. It has a 30mm tube, and allows 20 MOA (I think) with one turn, and has the CDS option. I've never even applied for a 270 muley tag. There is another area real close I feel is a better option. mtmuley

If you expect shots in dark timber at 75 yards, I don't think you really need any of the scopes you listed. I use a 4-12 X 40 on my elk rifle and it is more than adequate. I've practiced out to 850 yards with the set-up so far, and taken elk as close as 42 yards. If I were you, with the budget you have set, I'd look at the new Leupold VX-6. By the way, I hunt the Root too. mtmuley
Under 50yds I don't use a scope at all, I drop my eye down and left to sight along the edge of the barrel for those kinds of quick shots.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.