Question for Imperial Dry Neck Lube users

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a can of SS balls with moly powder that I used for awhile but have discontinued that practice for several years.
Currently, I just clean the inside of the necks quickly with an appropriate size brass brush with a little 000 steel wool wrapped around it to remove excess fouling if there is any. I use bushing dies so I'm not dragging an expander ball up through the necks. Bullets are seated with moderate effort when the correct bushing is used.

What it the purpose or advantage of using a neck lube when seating bullets?

I have a can of SS balls with moly powder that I used for awhile but have discontinued that practice for several years.
Currently, I just clean the inside of the necks quickly with an appropriate size brass brush with a little 000 steel wool wrapped around it to remove excess fouling if there is any. I use bushing dies so I'm not dragging an expander ball up through the necks. Bullets are seated with moderate effort when the correct bushing is used.

What it the purpose or advantage of using a neck lube when seating bullets?
It prevents cold weld

Someone else noted that dry neck lube was less consistant/accurate than just brushing necks

I kind of did a comparison in a 6.5cm earlier this year, 6 month old loaded ammo using dry neck lube vs 1 week old loaded ammo without lube, necks just brushed, all other specs were identical--- the brushed necks were definately more accurate with lower sd/es than the neck lubed ones. But it really wasnt a good comparison as some were 6 months old vs 1 week old.
I have stopped using dry neck lube though.

Someone else noted that dry neck lube was less consistant/accurate than just brushing necks

I kind of did a comparison in a 6.5cm earlier this year, 6 month old loaded ammo using dry neck lube vs 1 week old loaded ammo without lube, necks just brushed, all other specs were identical--- the brushed necks were definately more accurate with lower sd/es than the neck lubed ones. But it really wasnt a good comparison as some were 6 months old vs 1 week old.
I have stopped using dry neck lube though.
My results were the exact opposite, The lubed cases were better

Just wondering if the lube amount was different between bullets (if it is possible) would you get inconsistent bullet release. That's all...
No I don't believe that would make much of a difference at all I do like most everyone else swish it around at least 2 to 3 dips a light tap I mean light tap on the bench and load it I also use it inside the neck when expanding with a mandrel

I wonder the difference in location of application.

If you dip necks then seat bullets, wouldn't any extra dry lube be forced inside the case?

As opposed to dipping bullets, any extra dry lube would be scraped off by necks and forced to the outside.

Never tested this theory to see if there is a difference in consistancy or accuracy,

I wonder what would happen if a person would put, say, imperial case wax or home brew of lanolin and alcohol on the bullets and then seat them if the "cold weld" would subside? I'd say the wax definitely would probably work.

So how big a problem is cold weld? I know what it is but I've never experienced it with my hand loads.

Status
Not open for further replies.