Imperial Dry Neck Lube?

Snowfighter

Just purchased the Defensive Edge reloading instructional DVD. Wanted to see the techniques professionals use to load for long range hunting. The video shows using graphite dry lube on the necks after priming and before charging and bullet seating. Would someone mind explaining the theory behind this. And possibly the benefits of this.
Thanks

It allows consistant bullet seating. If you choose to use it you will feel that all your bullets seat with closer to the same pressure. I have been using it for 2 years now and I like it.

Jeff

I also use it for neck sizing (Redding bushing dies). I have the little tub of ceramic balls coated with graphite. Dip 'em and neck size 'em. Easy and clean.

I like the idea of consistent seating pressure and neck sizing without liquid type sizing lube.
If the graphite makes a difference in seating pressure, it would also then change release pressures when fired right?

I use it on my 338 edge and just wipe it off of the outside of the case after seating the bullet.

I kniow of one guy that cleanes the inside of the necks and uses a carpenters pencil to coat the insides befor bullet seating..He claims it makes for an equal release upon fireing..I know he is a good shot..Seems to work well for him..John

I normally use imperial wax to size but will have to give the graphite a go.:)

I use the Lee lube for inside case necks all the time.Comes in a tube and I put just a touch on a q tip and do 10 cases and then apply a little more and do another ten.I use the imperial wax for the outside cast body.This tube of lee lube is probably close to 20 years and still a bit left in it...You can do the outside as well with it..

I makes bullet seating easier. I use Mica, dry lubricant for the same purpose. Mica can also be used for lubing cast bullets. Mica and graphite can both be used without contaminating powder in the case.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.