Question about Turkeys. (Not hunting related)

Noidly1

I have been told that wild turkey tastes totally different (gamey) from store bought. Is this true.
With all the stuff going on in this world, and the stuff going in and on our crops and feed ( GMO's, pesticides, anti-biotics, yada yada) and the way animals are raised, I was thinking about getting a turkey from a hunter for this years Thanksgiving.

I am sure it would be a much healthier option going the wild route but would it be a turn-off for my family?
The only wild game I have ever had is Deer and since you can't get (domesticated) Deer, I don't have anything to be able to judge the difference in them by.

Any info or advice is greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

All of the above is correct. Wild turkeys don't grow great big breasts like the store bought Turkeys do. Also, the meat is more dark meat as well from my experience. We generally do a store bought turkey and supplement it with the wild turkey cooked in the deep fat fryer with some Cajun seasoning and some creole butter. Pretty hard to beat. One wild turkey would not feed a family for sure so if thats the route your going you better get at least two if not three depending on how big your family is. Good Luck and enjoy!

I have raised, shot and butchered numerous domestic and wild turkeys over the last 50 years. Wild turkey are fun to hunt, but they have a different taste than store bought or raised turkey. First they are usually not as fat and thus dryer than store bought. Second they are small in size compared to large domestic raised turkey. Their breast and legs are tougher, due to they daily actives of living in the wild. If properly prepared they taste good. Don't recommend smoking them as it will only dry out the meat more. Now days i just feed, watch the turkeys and go to the grocery store for a butter ball if I am hungry. Good luck on your hunt.

Moondggie is right deep fried is the way to go, I've been chasing and eating wild turkeys for nearly 40 years, I think I've tried just about everyway to prep one, in my part of the world a big tom will tip the scale under 25 pounds, this translates in a table ready bird at 12 to 15 pounds, take about 30 to 40 minutes to fry, we usually do try up 2 during a gathering, once cooked i crook pot the thighs for tacos or soup, another excellent option if you have the space is to cook them in the ground like a pig, season them up wrap in heavy foil then wrap in chicken wire connected with nails wire to help assist removing them from the fire pit, as long as they are buried properly they won't overcook, we leave them in the ground for several hours, we leave them in long enough the the meat is falling from the bone, it is moist and tender make great pulled turkey or chili Verde as well, if cooking traditionally, cook longer at a lower temp, they tend to be on the lean side, I feel the slightly lower temps tend not to dry the bird out, if you're family is not used to eating wild game don't let them see the prepared bird the tend to look anemic when compared to a butter ball.

Yes, tastes different- much dryer, more dark meat as others said above. Try one, and get a butterball too.

Wish I had a turkey tag right now-- no elk to be seen anywhere near me-- but I've seen almost 3 dozen turkey so far, heck I had 6 walk up to within 6 feet of me-- they were squawking like crazy trying to figure me out and make me move--- it was kinda fun to see how they behaved