Question about 140ELD-M/ AB App

Greyfox

I had a question for shooters using the Hornady 140ELD-M. I'm in the process of loading them for my 6.5x47. I have tested them and had great initial results at 200 yards and getting ready to test out to 1000 yards. The stated G7 on the Hornady box says .326. My AB Ballistic calculator using the Custom curve has a 1000 yard POI 18" lower indicating a G7 of about .301. This amounts to about an 18" difference at 1000 yards(8.4 vs 8.9MILS) POI at my 2700FPS velocity. I'm curious what shooters are getting for a G7 BC with this bullet. I use a 1:8 twist barrel.
Thanks for any input!

I've shot over 500 of the 140 eld-m. I'm not sure about the g7 number, but I use hornady 4DOF and that is right on the money. I was shooting them at 2823 fps. At 1358 yards I think my come up was about 46moa at 1200ft asl and 70-75°F. I dont remember exactly but it was in that ball park

I've shot over 500 of the 140 eld-m. I'm not sure about the g7 number, but I use hornady 4DOF and that is right on the money. I was shooting them at 2823 fps. At 1358 yards I think my come up was about 46moa at 1200ft asl and 70-75°F. I dont remember exactly but it was in that ball park
Thanks, that was helpful. I have the 4DOF program and entered the same variables. Assuming the 4DOF is a on as you have found, it places the G7 value at .315, between the AB Custom curve of .301 and Hornady .326 BC listed on the box. I'll start at the .315 BC value.

I haven't used the 140s but have had the best luck avg the 3 published bc of hornady. In this case is .318, but I've had to adjust my bc on the 143 from .303 to .310 when I changed lots so it may take a little tweaking to find your exact bc.

Finally.....a question from the Great GreyFox....and not just answer to our questions......now I think "he is a man, that bleeds, he is not steel"....

Finally.....a question from the Great GreyFox....and not just answer to our questions......now I think "he is a man, that bleeds, he is not steel"....

LOL...My Grandaddy always told me that it was far better to give then to receive!!!
BTW, I bleed like a stuck pig, and any steel I might have once had, is well rusted!

Thanks, that was helpful. I have the 4DOF program and entered the same variables. Assuming the 4DOF is a on as you have found, it places the G7 value at .315, between the AB Custom curve of .301 and Hornady .326 BC listed on the box. I'll start at the .315 BC value.
Let us know what you find. Would be interesting to see how they hold up

LOL...My Grandaddy always told me that it was far better to give then to receive!!!
BTW, I bleed like a stuck pig, and any steel I might have once had, is well rusted!
Greyfox, That's not rust.....it's patina. :) :) :)

I guess the point is it does not matter what somebody else gets. I have always done it as follows.

Chronograph it 4-5 shots. Put that into your ballistic cal. with factory bc (especially with Hornaday ELD bullets), take the results. Shot it at a 100 yards and zero, 600 yards.... correct velocity, then 1000, .....correct if needed , all with a spotter. Then you got true life fix. This has never disappointed me, I am a novice.

The facts are the facts, all the what "if's" in the world are not going to change the real world facts with your gun and barrel.

I guess the point is it does not matter what somebody else gets. I have always done it as follows.

Chronograph it 4-5 shots. Put that into your ballistic cal. with factory bc (especially with Hornaday ELD bullets), take the results. Shot it at a 100 yards and zero, 600 yards.... correct velocity, then 1000, .....correct if needed , all with a spotter. Then you got true life fix. This has never disappointed me, I am a novice.

The facts are the facts, all the what "if's" in the world are not going to change the real world facts with your gun and barrel.
Bullet manufacturer's' BCs represent a value at only one specific velocity.....even banded BCs. BCs change with velocity over the total flight path. That's why a Custom Drag Curve trued to your actual rifle gives the best real world performance. The bullets don't lie.......or choose numbers for Marketing purposes.

I have trued the 140 ELD to .300 G7 in my kestrel with AB as well at a MV of 2815 in my Creedmoor. The 130 ELD we trued a similar BC at a MV of 2900 at the same distance. I'm shooting the 140 because it's easier to find in bulk and shoots well in my rifle.

I have trued the 140 ELD to .300 G7 in my kestrel with AB as well at a MV of 2815 in my Creedmoor. The 130 ELD we trued a similar BC at a MV of 2900 at the same distance. I'm shooting the 140 because it's easier to find in bulk and shoots well in my rifle.
I got some 130 eld-m to try. Launching them near 3000 fps. I've heard the bc on the 130 is actually a bit higher than advertised and close to the 140. I'll be testing it out to 1500 this summer to see if it holds up as well as the 140

Bullet manufacturer's' BCs represent a value at only one specific velocity.....even banded BCs. BCs change with velocity over the total flight path. That's why a Custom Drag Curve trued to your actual rifle gives the best real world performance. The bullets don't lie.......or choose numbers for Marketing purposes.

G1 does, but a g7 has a form factor already put into its BC as well as velocity. It's why a bullet alone has one bc and a loaded cartridge using the same bullet has another bc and the DOF is measured differently then and is averaged for that cartridge. The g7 bc won't be like a Sierra bullets where there are MV based changes for bc comparison of the same bullet.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.