question about nerves

bman73

I am leaving for my first ever elk hunt in 4 days, slightly delayed because I pushed a head gasket on my truck and ended up buying a new truck instead of fixing the old one. I have been asked to allow my hunt to be filmed for a hunting video that will be on sale sometime this year, they would like to get a long range(well long range for these parts anyways) kill shot on film, I fooloishly agreed to it right away. This will be my first long range hunt and because this is the first timeI have a self imposed a limit of 700 yrds, I am worried about the extra pressure of having it filmed while I am doing something for the first time and was wondering what a lot of you guys do to try to help calm yourselves before taking the shots some of you guys are making. I am shooting a 110ba in .338 Lapua with the 300 grn gen 2 bergers so the gun department is not an issue, I have been doing a lot of shooting lately, just did 45 rounds yesterday and am just under 1MOA................ at the range, now don't get me wrong here, I'm not scared of whats coming but am concerned with the excitement and pressure of having it filmed screwing with my head. Any and all suggestions appreciated

Practice it like you play it if possible. If you have time, a range day with the camera folks would likely payoff. We always switch to archery type picture targets before we go. This especially helps with kids. So if you can come up with an elk target, and time to film a practice I'd say do it. My bet is you're good to go, just focus on your end let everybody else handle theirs. Good luck, and I'd like to see the pictures.

Last edited:
Carlos Hathcock used to say that whenever you were in the zone it was never too hot, never too cold, never raining, etc. Concentration. Focus on what you are doing not on what is going on around you.

I like this quote. I can relate.

Congrats on the first elk hunt!! Can be hard to suppress the nerves for sure! And a camera, should be exciting!

I have shot in many pressured situations including instructing a class, competition, and trophy hunting. Often, with camera rolling.

Couple of things help. The biggest factor for me is confidence. I am practiced and familiar with my gear. I Know I am a skilled shooter. This removes most of the anxiety. When it's time to shoot, my focus is on the task at hand. The camera and "background noise" are simply gone. It's just business as usuall.

Feeling like you are among friends is very helpful. Shake hands, visit a little, find out a little personal information. Discuss the cameramans needs so you understand how to work together and communicate effectively when the pressure is on. You are a group of friends working together to share the hunting experience. The camera is just something "Bob" brought along.

Be yourself and don't stress over making mistakes. Hunting is real. Mistakes add to the story. Your first time excitement add to the tape. Pressure gets to all of us sometimes. That's okay too!

You might ask the guys to do a dry run or two and have 'em film you hunt a couple rocks to work through the jitters.

Good luck, have fun! Where ya headed?

What I have done with a few hunters and when time permits is to dry fire on the elk. Maybe a couple times. This helps a lot and could be edited out if you like.

Jeff

Reminds me of racing motocross years ago. There was always a film crew of some sorts around and if not, lots of people taking pictures and getting in the way, especially when wrenching on the bikes.

When the flag dropped or the start bar fell, I forgot all about the audience and the cameras and I became focused on the task at hand, in my case racing.

You'll do the same.

You won't be aware of anything but the quarry and your firearm. The second guessing comes after the fact.

I did a bike show out in Iowa a few years back and it was a huge crowd. I took first place and had to get up in front of a bunch of strangers (to me) and explain what went into the bike I was showing, about it's mechanicals and why I did what I did. I had the jitters until I took the mike and then it all went away and I'm not a good speaker but if you really enjoy what you do, the calm comes naturally.

You like to hunt so it will be natural progression.

That is how Diamonds are made brother!!!!!

PRESSURE!! Rise to the occasion!!! Its a wonderful feeling, having fought and played football in front of thousands of people I know what your thinking! It will only make it that much sweeter when you succeed!

Practice builds confidence. You've done that.

Dry fire on the animal so that you know you're steady and relaxed.

Have a good spotter to help keep your dope straight.

Follow through. Concentrate on seeing the bullet impact. You probably can't accomplish that with the 338LM at 700yds. But, you should always try.

Happy hunting!
Richard

Gotta plus 3 the dry fire. Might wanna remove the magazine :D.

I once fired a round at an animal when I meant to dry fire. Unfortunately, nobody was filming. Would have been entertaining footage.

Gotta plus 3 the dry fire. Might wanna remove the magazine :D.

I once fired a round at an animal when I meant to dry fire. Unfortunately, nobody was filming. Would have been entertaining footage.

Reminds me of the U-Tube vid of the guy pulling his handgun and shooting himself in the calf....

That was entertaining... not for him I'm sure....:D

What I have done with a few hunters and when time permits is to dry fire on the elk. Maybe a couple times. This helps a lot and could be edited out if you like.

Jeff

Very good advise. We can practice all we want and feel good about it but each and everyone of us will react slightly different when the time comes.

After 32 years waiting for a Big Horn Sheep tag here in Montana and looking over upwards of 70-80 rams over 18 days when it came time to make it happen - I would have hated to see the results if the first dry fire was the actual round sent. After seeing my cross hairs move on the first dry fire I finally settled down - after 2 more I was ready and results were fit for camera footage.

Dry fire - dry fire - dry fire

I thought the same thing the first time. The hardest part is the filming other than the shot, once it's time to get busy and shoot you wont even know it's there. I remember briefly thinking they better have that camera ready because i'm not waiting.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts