Putting a break on my 300 WSM

ak49guy

Recently I had a first gen Kimber Montana fall in my lap chambered in 300 WSM. After building a load for it. 168 ABLR's with [email protected]. Moving 2978fps, would threading and having a break put on it effect the overall load development. Change in POI, SD or even velocity. I have been reloading for a while. And learned a lot of stuff through trial and error. I'm kinda lost on this one. I can't find any information regarding this. And everything I find is just talking about what u gain from a break. Anyways. Any experience with this out there? Would love some info.

It could change the harmonics enough to throw your load out. It depends on how wide the current nodes is. IMO, if you have a good load and a brake throws it would you should be able to retune it back in with charge weight adjustments.

POI change is inconsequential IMO as once installed it'd done.

The bigger concern is finding a 30 cal brake that can be threaded for your barrel. It's likely going to be a 1/2×24 thread on that rifle due to muzzle diameter.

You'll most likely need a radial brake due to diameter but these guys would be better to answer your questions.

If you can go Ti it would help reduce the weight thereby chances of it throwing you out of tune.

Recently I had a first gen Kimber Montana fall in my lap chambered in 300 WSM. After building a load for it. 168 ABLR's with [email protected]. Moving 2978fps, would threading and having a break put on it effect the overall load development. Change in POI, SD or even velocity. I have been reloading for a while. And learned a lot of stuff through trial and error. I'm kinda lost on this one. I can't find any information regarding this. And everything I find is just talking about what u gain from a break. Anyways. Any experience with this out there? Would love some info.
Any change at the muzzle, i.e., threading a muzzle device, muzzle brake, or suppressor, will change the harmonic of the barrel and the point of impact. So, you must adjust your load accordingly with the muzzle device.

I have a Kimber 84L in .30-06 that had it re-chambered to .30 Gibbs and installed a Ross Schuler MB. It propels the 190 Berger VLD at 2806 FPS with 57 RL-17 with more powder room to spare.

1710609048909.jpeg

The PVA "Jet Blast" Brake, really TAMED my son's 7 PRC, Proof Barreled, Tikka ( 8.7 Pounds ) with, the 180 gr. ELD-M's at almost, 3,000 FPS and with, very LITTLE Recoil and, Muzzle Jump ! ALSO, the BLAST ( Concussion ) is a Bit,.. angled, AWAY from, the Shooter !
We now Have, 4 of them, in the Family, ON our,.. Hunting Rifles.
There was, NO change, in Load development ( Group SIZE ) only Minor,.. POI adjustment.
Brake and Threading, was under,.. $300.

Last edited:
Thanks fellas. It's is as I assumed. I figured POI would change. Just wasn't sure. I was more curious about the hermonics and overall load performance. Obviously I'll hit the range and figure it all out once everything said and done. The hanks fella.

If just turning the knob on an EC tuner can change the group size, certainly adding a few ounces to the muzzle could potentially change the harmonics enough to alter the group size.

It will change the harmonics of the barrel but I've never seen it negatively impact accuracy by putting a brake on, only help it. It's not going to change your velocity or anything though. Brake on and off will change POI on a lightweight barrel and generally the heavier the brake the more it will effect it. It should be repeatable though.

If just turning the knob on an EC tuner can change the group size, certainly adding a few ounces to the muzzle could potentially change the harmonics enough to alter the group size.
Yeah. I agree. I was more concerned about load overall performance. Got one tuned to the barrel so changing the barrel weight and length was my real concern. Thank for th input though. I do wanna get a EC tuner. Those things seem to work well.