Puffy or synthetic suggestions

dnb86

Looking for a new cold weather jacket for glassing on cold windy mornings. Was eyeballing the new stone glacier cirque jacket. Open to any suggestions

Any puffy coat under a windstopper softshell will keep you warm from the wind. I prefer down over synthetic in puffy coats but its a personal preference, the Stone Glacier Cirque will work fine.

I have been happy with my Kifaru Lost Park Parkas. Not the most packable but definitely one of the warmer I've had.

I have the cirque...I also have owned the Grumman. I wear the cirque daily in the winter and have had it on my hunts since last Nov.

It depends on what your definition of "cold" is and how the rest of your layering system is built. It's not warm enough for long days glassing in the teens, but works for some still hunting the timber when its extra cold or glassing with morning lows in the 20s.

On windy hunts where it's not getting above freezing, I take an 8.5oz fill puffy from montbell and throw an arcteryx shell over that. Good to the single digits with some puffy pants.

The cirque is an awesome piece of gear though, but like all thinks, depending on the intended use.

I think I am going to get the Grumman down for in the pack and covering up for glassing or still hunting. I want both!
Careful with that Grumman in the brush, bring some extra tape for the rips, its super fragile. Also, at <5oz of fill, it's not exactly warm if we're talking Nov. For me, the Grumman was more of an archery season puffy. FWIW.

I have the cirque...I also have owned the Grumman. I wear the cirque daily in the winter and have had it on my hunts since last Nov.

It depends on what your definition of "cold" is and how the rest of your layering system is built. It's not warm enough for long days glassing in the teens, but works for some still hunting the timber when its extra cold or glassing with morning lows in the 20s.

On windy hunts where it's not getting above freezing, I take an 8.5oz fill puffy from montbell and throw an arcteryx shell over that. Good to the single digits with some puffy pants.

The cirque is an awesome piece of gear though, but like all thinks, depending on the intended use.
Thanks for the info I'm in Northern California and it's usually fairly warm during rifle but we definitely have random days of low 20s-30s with 30+ mph winds in the AM and few days of snow but that's about it for the severe colder days I think I'm gonna look into the cirque for to for the durability and the pit zips to dump the heat and I have plenty of hoodie options to put under it if needed

Thanks for the info I'm in Northern California and it's usually fairly warm during rifle but we definitely have random days of low 20s-30s with 30+ mph winds in the AM and few days of snow but that's about it for the severe colder days I think I'm gonna look into the cirque for to for the durability and the pit zips to dump the heat and I have plenty of hoodie options to put under it if needed
Sounds like a perfect spot for that jacket.

I was going to suggest the sitka Kelvin windstopper down coat. But for where you are its overkill. I'd do the down Grumman myself for the lighter weight.
I never move with puffy layers on. Well maybe 100 yards from one vantage to another , certainly not brush busting and sweating my way up a hill in one.

Kuiu has several good options both down and synthetic. I lean towards the synthetic (Kenai line) because of water resistance, breathability when moving, doesn't shed feathers, etc. I have had my Kenai jacket for several years and it has been great both sitting and hiking.

I've used Mountain Hardware Ghost Whisperer for over a decade. weights about 6oz and packs small.
Where I hunt in MT it's always windy and we always get zero or minus zero weather.