Puffy or synthetic suggestions

Careful with that Grumman in the brush, bring some extra tape for the rips, its super fragile. Also, at <5oz of fill, it's not exactly warm if we're talking Nov. For me, the Grumman was more of an archery season puffy. FWIW.
Yeah definitely don't wear it busting brush haha and if you do put it under your soft shell!

I'm a big fan of down. Lighter, more compressible, and warmer for weight, especially with higher power fills. If concerned about moisture, synthetic may prove beneficial. I wear a softshell over most of my down, so opens the door to alot of mountaineering options which MIGHT be better and less expensive.

I'm a big fan of down. Lighter, more compressible, and warmer for weight, especially with higher power fills. If concerned about moisture, synthetic may prove beneficial. I wear a softshell over most of my down, so opens the door to alot of mountaineering options which MIGHT be better and less expensive.
Lots more mountaineering brands that are are just as good but gives more options finding on sale. The hunting brands nowadays are (finally) copying the mountaineering technologies they are pretty much the same thing except camo patterns.

Lots more mountaineering brands that are are just as good but gives more options finding on sale. The hunting brands nowadays are (finally) copying the mountaineering technologies they are pretty much the same thing except camo patterns.
I've owned a bunch of alpine brand stuff in the past. I still wear an arcteryx SV shell, it cannot be beat for a hardshell. But SG is making some great gear, superior to Sitka/Kuiu in my book.

I had the Arcteryx Atom AR a similar synthetic to the Cirque, the SG is superior in warmth (plus has pit zips) and packs the same.

I agree, most the time the mountaineering brands are better (hence my montbell puffy) but SG is doing a great job of late.

I've owned a bunch of alpine brand stuff in the past. I still wear an arcteryx SV shell, it cannot be beat for a hardshell. But SG is making some great gear, superior to Sitka/Kuiu in my book.

I had the Arcteryx Atom AR a similar synthetic to the Cirque, the SG is superior in warmth (plus has pit zips) and packs the same.

I agree, most the time the mountaineering brands are better (hence my montbell puffy) but SG is doing a great job of late.
Even within major mountaineering brands there are products that nail it and some that miss the mark on different levels. But they all have been light years ahead of hunting clothing until more recently. The top hunting brands now have caught up, some products will be better than others but we no longer have to put up with non-technical, heavy outerwear in non athletic ("eurpean") sizes. SG is doing a great job, Kuius founder was active in mountaineering if I recall and frustrated with the lack of technical hunting wear was a major influence in bringing mountaineering clothing technologies to hunting clothes. I have a little bit of everything, would buy a SG puffy in a heartbeat if I didnt already have enough other stuff to wear out first.

****! Sure are proud of that one lol
At least they made it box baffle for that price...not very common amongst the hunting brands. But a significant factor in down jacket performance.

At least they made it box baffle for that price...not very common amongst the hunting brands. But a significant factor in down jacket performance.
Agreed great design just a little more than what I was looking for in price but good to know it's out there

I prefer quality goose down is mid and heavy weight fill to cover mid and late seasons under wind resistant mid layers or goretex raingear fir extremes and/wet conditions you can get away with very inexpensive goose down for drier conditions but quality treated (higher $) sure makes a difference in extreme conditions. My go to gear late season layers include both down pants and hooded coat jacket for stand/glassing.

have had good luck with lighter/less $ eddie bauer as well as both kuiu and sitka in both light and heavy.

Last edited:
First Lite Chamberlain Down Jacket. Sat and glassed for 6+ hours in 12 degree temps with 30MPH gusts and stayed warm. My hands about froze off but my arms, and core stayed warm. No way I'd have been able to stay that long without it.