Proper load work up steps.

A better question is what to do when actual results vary from the manual(s)?
Smart reloaders expect that will happen. They're not using the same lots of components nor the rifle and shooter as was used to get published load data. What they do depends on which way and how much difference there is and their objectives.

That isn't useful guidance Bart. The OP is asking about load development steps. Does that strike you as a question an experienced reloader asks? "smart" is impossible to measure.

Smart reloaders expect that will happen. They're not using the same lots of components nor the rifle and shooter as was used to get published load data. What they do depends on which way and how much difference there is and their objectives.

Here is a method that many of the top LR shooters are using that is relatively quick and works extremely well. Lot of photos and targets to show how it works.

Long range load development at 100 yards. | Shooters' Forum

Read the first page for the steps and it has downloadable targets to use mixed in there. Some of the early photos are gone, but later lot of them that clearly show multiple shooters making it work.

Regarding: the proposed question about what to do when actual results vary from the manual(s)

That isn't useful guidance Bart. The OP is asking about load development steps. Does that strike you as a question an experienced reloader asks?

Here's my answer to it again; and it's very useful guidance in my opinion.

If you think otherwise, answer it your way.

Experienced reloaders ask all sorts of questions; that ones been asked by several.

Regarding: the proposed question about what to do when actual results vary from the manual(s)

Here's my answer to it again; and it's very useful guidance in my opinion.

If you think otherwise, answer it your way.

Experienced reloaders ask all sorts of questions; that ones been asked by several.

Looking in a manual is not load development.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.