Prone shooting in the field

coyotelite

At the range I shoot prone with bipod and a rear bag. I have a removable back pouch on my kifaru pack that I remove and use as a rear bag in the field for prone shooting. What is your preferred rest for long range shots on game in the field?

At the range I shoot prone with bipod and a rear bag. I have a removable back pouch on my kifaru pack that I remove and use as a rear bag in the field for prone shooting. What is your preferred rest for long range shots on game in the field?

I use the same rear bag in the field that I use at the range. I carry it on the outside of my mystery ranch pack - attached with carribeaner to moly webbing of pack.

I just use my bipod with elbows propped. Was at the range tonight and kept them about an inch vertical spread, but 5" horizontal spread at 600 yards. Wind was gusting 5-10. Always put the same forward pressure on bipod legs. Deer hunt opens tomorrow so feel ready. Like the bag idea though. Might try next hunt.

I use Harris and Atlas bipods with a 6"x2"x 3" Caldwell shooting bag. Just keep it in my fanny pack or backpack. It is always examined after X-ray by airport security though. It's filled with crushed corncob.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.