Problem 700 SPS

I didn't see anyone mention the dreaded J lock. If your rifle has it, remove it and install a new firing pin assembly.
I removed the J-Lock pin assembly on my .30-06 AI build.

I've had one on my 7mm STW for 12 years and never had any issues with it...

Not that they aren't stupid, just that I've never had any issues with mine.

No J-Lock. Gun's manuf. date was 2012. For the sale price I got on this gun, it could be a donor action.

Funny thing, last night I was breaking it down and cleaning it up after re-bedding and after cleaning out the firing pin assembly and now I get a loud squeak just as I start to close the bolt. Not much online that I can find on this one. To me, it seems the sound comes from the back of the bolt and I do notice when threading in the assembly to the bolt sleeve that it squeaks a bit. Rem didn't replace the bolt so everything is the same minus the factory grease that was on it. Sounds as if the mainspring is rubbing on the sleeve. So I oiled everything (firing pin, spring, sleeve, threads), didn't work, graphite lubed, didn't work. Will play with it again tonight. I'm hesitant to put grease back on it as I hate gummed up gun parts yet that is the way it came from the factory and there was no squeak until now. Any experience or thoughts about this one?

Tomorrow I find out whether the new barreled action shoots. Can't wait!!!!

I tried that first and didn't help. With that being the problem area, I took some 600 grit sand paper to the bolt where the cocking cam contacts and that helped the most with the noise. Thanks for that direction. I couldn't get the squeak completly gone but I won't be scaring animals off any more. :) Getting to know the 700 real well with this project gun.

That's an unnecessary cost to end users a cost they might not be able to readily cough up. It's end users' call, and no one else.

True, but $30-40 for an old school Rem trigger is easily justifiable. And when adjusted by a competent smith it'll out perfrom the XMP hands-down.

That's an unnecessary cost to end users a cost they might not be able to readily cough up. It's end users' call, and no one else.

add to this the cost that more than half the end users will have to pay a gun smith to install the trigger, after all not everybody is a gunsmith.
gary

add to this the cost that more than half the end users will have to pay a gun smith to install the trigger, after all not everybody is a gunsmith.
gary

My gunsmith doesn't charge me anything to install a trigger since he's usually truing the action and everything anyway. All he's doing is putting a different trigger in during re-assembly and adjusting it down to a continually safe working load where it won't AD and making it a safe gun.

I'm not a smith at all, but installing and adjusting an old style Rem trigger is not an overly arduous task... I've done several on my own rifles, and even adjusted a buddy's XMP to a point where it's safe, yet significantly better than what you could get out of the stnadard adjustment screw....

My gunsmith doesn't charge me anything to install a trigger since he's usually truing the action and everything anyway. All he's doing is putting a different trigger in during re-assembly and adjusting it down to a continually safe working load where it won't AD and making it a safe gun.

I'm not a smith at all, but installing and adjusting an old style Rem trigger is not an overly arduous task... I've done several on my own rifles, and even adjusted a buddy's XMP to a point where it's safe, yet significantly better than what you could get out of the stnadard adjustment screw....

Good for you!

I really don't understand why you continue to make this an unnecessary debate esp. when it is only an FYSA and those that are directly affected are very receptive to the recall >>> http://www.longrangehunting.com/for...el-seven-rifles-134000/index2.html#post942046

According to my serial numbers of the old action block and new action block, my gun is not subject to the recall. However, this don't make me feel better about their triggers especially since I can't get mine under 4 lbs even with after market springs.

On the upside. Gun is shooting as expected. During break in, first 20 rounds or so were about 1.5 MOA with cheap factory ammo and then last 5 shots without cleaning between was around 1" Looks like I have a potential shooter.

Thanks everyone for your help and support.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.