Private / non ffl persons shipping long guns???

Shubey

My ups/fed ex terminals won,t accept long guns from non ffl individuals! Has laws changed? Or just their policies? Please advise, D.

My ups/fed ex terminals won,t accept long guns from non ffl individuals! Has laws changed? Or just their policies? Please advise, D.
I went through this same headache. There are specific locations region to region that accept guns. I had to call and find out where the closest location was when I lived in Wisconsin. I agree with Lee7588, if you can find a gun shop to mail it off for you, it may be worth it.

The easiest thing to do to ship a gun is go to a local gun shop and pay them to ship it
Yes this is easy,but expensive! My recent experience: $30 for my dealer to place on his books , $65 for shipping. Almost $100!!!

Hit up search it may help you on this. Don't know when this came into play. Last gun I shipped was USPS last early summer. Edit, Yep shipping was expensive...$55 if I remember and I did all the work. If you really want to ship it just package it up, cover in solid paper, tape it up good, and ship the thing. If you want to insure it go ahead and insure it and call it what ever you want...."mechanical parts" or what ever you feel like. If they loose it they cant find it and pay on what it was insured as. Too many people IMO talk and put too much information out and then fall on the dull blade.

Another issue I found when I asked my local dealer about shipping is that he had to be able to see the gun to enter serial number in his books before shipping. This means it can't be packaged tight until after he does the inspection.

Yes this is easy,but expensive! My recent experience: $30 for my dealer to place on his books , $65 for shipping. Almost $100!!!
I understand, if you are shipping for repairs see if the manufacturer will issue a label, if you sold it then on the next one make sure the price reflects the shipping cost. Or do like knuckles_malone check to see where closest place to ship out is

Another issue I found when I asked my local dealer about shipping is that he had to be able to see the gun to enter serial number in his books before shipping. This means it can't be packaged tight until after he does the inspection.

This is 100% correct. As the FFL holder must record the model, serial number, manufacturer and person who dropped off the firearm.

Scheels ships long guns for $35. Oddly they don't insure; if it's lost, they will "make it right".
I talked to a collector yesterday who doesn't insure either; he buys and sells primarily old Smiths and Snake guns. He says that the value of insurance is tagged in the system, and if someone is less than scrupulous, it may be targeted.

I had not heard that before. Thoughts?

ANOTHER fly in the ointment!!!