Private / non ffl persons shipping long guns???

Scheels ships long guns for $35. Oddly they don't insure; if it's lost, they will "make it right".
I talked to a collector yesterday who doesn't insure either; he buys and sells primarily old Smiths and Snake guns. He says that the value of insurance is tagged in the system, and if someone is less than scrupulous, it may be targeted.

I had not heard that before. Thoughts?
Insurance from the USPS is a waste of time and money......they will fight paying off until you buckle from fatigue. Ask me if I know!🤬

I recommend shipmygun.com I have used it several times. Bud's Gun Shop is the acting FFL on your end. You get the receiving FFL's name and address and see if SMG has them in their system. If they do, you box up the gun, print the pre-paid label, and take it to a UPS hub. NOT a UPS Store. If the receiving FFL is not in the system, SMG will reach out and get their information which adds a day or two. Once they have the information you can proceed with getting the label. You do not need to take the gun to an FFL on your end as Bud's is acting as your FFL. SMG has an agreement with UPS to not require next-day air so it can really cut down shipping costs.

I recommend shipmygun.com I have used it several times. Bud's Gun Shop is the acting FFL on your end. You get the receiving FFL's name and address and see if SMG has them in their system. If they do, you box up the gun, print the pre-paid label, and take it to a UPS hub. NOT a UPS Store. If the receiving FFL is not in the system, SMG will reach out and get their information which adds a day or two. Once they have the information you can proceed with getting the label. You do not need to take the gun to an FFL on your end as Bud's is acting as your FFL. SMG has an agreement with UPS to not require next-day air so it can really cut down shipping costs.
Thanks

That's been UPS's policy for a bit over a year now. Nonlicensees can't ship any firearms or firearm parts through them. FedEx stopped allowing nonlicensees to ship firearms a while before that. USPS will ship long guns, but not handguns. You could ship firearms without telling them, but you're screwed if they lose it or damage it. They'll want some proof of value and pictures of the damaged box and item, which you likely won't be able to provide without them denying the claim. To me it's not worth risking a loss or commiting fraud to save a bit on shipping. You can also get a shipping label from an FFL, like shipmygun, and use that.

That's been UPS's policy for a bit over a year now. Nonlicensees can't ship any firearms or firearm parts through them. FedEx stopped allowing nonlicensees to ship firearms a while before that. USPS will ship long guns, but not handguns. You could ship firearms without telling them, but you're screwed if they lose it or damage it. They'll want some proof of value and pictures of the damaged box and item, which you likely won't be able to provide without them denying the claim. To me it's not worth risking a loss or commiting fraud to save a bit on shipping. You can also get a shipping label from an FFL, like shipmygun, and use that.
Thanks all!

A question for those who've used 'shipmygun'-I read their FAQ's and didn't find the answer. If I use their service and pay the optional shipping insurance, who files/handles the claim if the gun is lost/damaged in shipment? Do I have to do it or does shipmygun handle it?

A question for those who've used 'shipmygun'-I read their FAQ's and didn't find the answer. If I use their service and pay the optional shipping insurance, who files/handles the claim if the gun is lost/damaged in shipment? Do I have to do it or does shipmygun handle it?
Good ,wise ? Would be good to know!

In the past I have shipped guns to "myself" VIA UPS at another address for hunting purposes. This was an exception in the rule, they even picked it up at the house for me. Not sure if that went away might be worth looking into.

In the past I have shipped guns to "myself" VIA UPS at another address for hunting purposes. This was an exception in the rule, they even picked it up at the house for me. Not sure if that went away might be worth looking into.
Ok

Recent Posts