Primers for 300 RUM w Retumbo

Chilly Willy

Are you fella's using a magnum large rifle primer to ignite or just a large rifle primer?
confused.gif

Excellent question.

Obviously magnum cartridges do great with magnum primers, however, there is the issue of consistency.

You may find that using a regular primer like Fed. 210 match, the powder burns very evenly and uniformly.

I tried this when I noticed some pressure signs using Retumbo. I was getting 1/2" 3 shot groups but #4 and #5 shots were expanding to 1".

When I switched to the regular large rifle primer, the pressure went way down, I added powder, and got even better groups. But I do have a 28" barrel.

Good luck, and good shooting!

You guys are a pain in the neck.

If there weren't enough possible variations involved in load development, ie: powder, bullets, OAL, moly, and what-have-you; now you've gone and introduced another whole possibility to explore. Seems like I spend a thousand hours at the bench for every hour in the field. This isn't a hobby, its a disease.

My wife is ready to divorce me. I refuse to give up my Fed 215M primers for the big guns. So there!
grin.gif

VH

[ 07-19-2004: Message edited by: Varmint Hunter ]

This is a great thread, I've been using FED GM215 Match primers exclusively for the 7 SAUM and 7 RUM.

Now I'm goiong to try the FED GM 210 Match primers since I have them also.

Thanks,

Doug

All kidding aside - I'm rather surprised that you can adequately ignite 70gr-80gr-90gr of sloooow burning powder with non-magnum primers.

If this will ultimately be a hunting load, the ignition quality may be quite different in a freezing cold environment. Not sure
confused.gif
just wondering.

VH

FWIW,I was at a 1000yd match in Tucson, AZ and saw where a guy was using F210's with Retumbo topped with 210 JLK's in a 300 Tomahawk and he had quite a few fail to ignite. Personally I wouldn't use anything but a magnum primer with Retumbo, JHMO.
Wayne

Hello Wayne. There are plenty of circumstances that can lead to no ignition of primers. Of course that's no news to everyone. I had a bad BRICK of Remington primers straight off the shelf in Iowa in 1996.

I know that the regular primer may not be as hot as the magnum but do you think it's possibe the guy got ahold of a bad lot?

I've used Federal 210Match in magnums for about 13 yrs just to experiment and I've never had one fail, including 300 Weatherby and 7STW. And these loads were used in real real cold weather for hunting only. I also use 215M and I do think it is the most appropriate primer for magnums however, if you choose a bullet and a powder and cannot seem to get the load to group tight, utilizing a regular primer can be a choice. For whatever reason, I've found this to influence accuracy almost as much as seating depth.
tongue.gif

I use Fed 215M primers to light 50BMG. The best answer is to try the two choices and see which works best for you and your rifle.

Another excellent match primer is the CCI BR2. The only consistent thing I would say is to use a match primer. They make a difference for the type of shooting we do.

Jerry

Derek,
I agree with you as I've had a bad 1000ct box of CCI's back in '95, exchanged them for Winchesters and problem went away.
In my 30/338 LM IMP ( WAMBOMAG ) the 210's worked good with WC872 and the 240 SMK until I was over 97grs then the 215's had a better ES.
Wayne

Thanks for your insight guys! I've been using Winchester large rifle primers so far, but was wondering if the magnum would be more suited for the Retumbo. I'm gonna switch over to the Federal 215M and see what happens

I've tried the Fed 210M's and the Fed 215's with Retumbo and a 220 SMK in the 300 Rum. I thought that maybe the the 210M's would give better consistency. They didn't. I wasn't all that happy with the consistency of the Fed 215's either,but it was better then the 210M's. From there I went to the WLRM's but there was no real change evident. I FINALLY got my hands on some Fed 215M's and had far better results. I tried all this in hotter weather too......if your thinking of using the 210's for a hunting load when it's cold I can see some problems.

Gents,
There is no guarantee of success in primers. The only thing you can do is batch buy and buy more than you will ever need.
In the 1970's. I had 3 miss fires in 3 differencet rifles on the one hunting trip. All primers were Remington and two on the rifles were using factory loads. Not one of those 3 rifles ever misfired before that trip or since. I have never used Remington primers since, coincidently.

Just recently, I had my first misfire with a Federal 215 in my .460 Weatherby. I am very glad it was a test load I was chronographing and not a life saving shot at a displeased animal coming over to introduce itself to me.

This now means that I will never trust any primers as they are all simply a mass produced item, so there has to be failures, I guess.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts