300 RUM+180g btip+Retumbo

[ QUOTE ]
I did a little bit of shooting/testing today as well. This time I was sighting in my 220 swift with 55g FMJ's. I put a 200 yard zero on it, then busted some 1 liters at 300, then some 2 liters at 500. There going 3900fps, giving me .25" at 100 for 3 shots, and 1 inch groups at 300. I will try these on a yote, but if they run off, I"ll be switching back to my original yote buster, the 55g btip at 3925fps. I want to see if the FMJ's will kill them, so I can skin a couple pelts. Anyways, I also loaded up 2 loads with 180g btips and Retumbo. I loaded up 99g and 100g. I shot them at 300 yards. The 99g load gave me a 4 inch group and was scooting along at 3450fps. The 100g load was down to 3 inch at 3480fps. I'm thinking I'm gonna try 101g. Seems to get a little tighter with a little more powder. I'm not really seeing any signs of pressure. Probly break 3500fps. Thats 30-378 weatherby territory!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

According to quickload you will be if not already in 70K ++ territory! Watch out bud!

Well guys you were right. I just got back from the range. I loaded up 2 more loads. This time I loaded up a load at 96g, just to see what that would do, and I also loaded up the 101g load. Today I did not test at 300, I did at 200 because I want to be very close to my 200 zero when I sight these in because I'm low on bullets powder. Anyways, I shot the 96g load first. The first 2 shots were touching making it a .3" group, I waited a couple minutes and shot the 3rd. It opened the group to 1.9". Still MOA, but I wished that 3rd would not have been such a flyer! The 3 shots recorded 3310, 3325, and 3327. I did not even shoot the 101g load as I dont think it will be as accurate as the 96g load because it put 2 on top of each other. I think I might even go down 1g and try a 95g load to see if I cant tighten up that flyer. I will pull those 3 shells with 101g and load up 95g and shoot them tomorrow at 200. There pretty much zeroed already, so when I load my batch up, I will not be shooting more shells then I need to get zeroed at 500. I'm going to try to ring my steel gong at 1150 with these 180g btips. I'll let ya'll know how it does.

Good! I am glad! BTW a little trick

ALWAYS MAKE 4 ROUNDS.......So if you get a group like you did and a flyer you got the #4 (verifier) to clear things up! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

POP

That is a very good idea. I should have thought of that earlier! I dont know if it was me, or the rifle, or the load. I guess I'll see tomorrow. I might have to load up 5 shells because my first shot out of a cold barrel is usually 2-3 inches away from my 2nd shot, or my group. So if I loaded up 4 rounds, I'd be back to a 3 shot group with a flyer again. See what I mean?? See why I need a custom barrel. I think it will greatly reduce this flyer crap.

I should load up 5 rounds because my 1st shot out of a cold barrel is usually couple inches away from my 3 shot group. So then I'm right back to where I started if I only load 4 up. See what I mean?? I need a custom barrel like something fierce. Ha ha ha.

I feel like we are neighbors since I work over your way a lot. I loaded some fmjs a couple of years ago for my .223 I think I only killed one coyote with em before I loaded up some bts, the fmjs didn't knock him right down. I loaded some 60 gr Hornady soft points for my swift a couple of weeks ago and have shot three yotes so far one drt from a spine hit and the other two only went 15 or 20 yards lung hits but not much fur damage. Speed isn't that great though. I need to come up with "the" load for this gun.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.