300 RUM and Retumbo

I meant, 3.858 is when the 210 VLD is into the lands. My mag box is factory. I was just curious how long the throat was on everyone elses Remingtons.

87 grains is on the low pressure side. But it is at 94% case capacity. Quickload says you are in the neighborhood of 2800fps. Have you chronographed it ?

My 210 Bergers seated to what I believe is the lands are in the 2.850 - 2.855 range, in my Sendero.

Thanks man. Im sending you a PM with my email address, if you dont mind sharing some of your load data with me.

I will use 3.850 as mine as well, just to be safe, since I dont have a precision tool for measuring it.

So when hunting whitetails with Bergers, at closer ranges, should I avoid shoulder shots ? I'm sorry but I hate tracking, I've always liked taking out a shoulder so that they fall where they are hit. Just wondering if the 210 Hunting VLD can make it through a shoulder and still make the kill ? Sorry if these questions seem noobish, but Im still pretty new to handloading, and never used Bergers before.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks man. Im sending you a PM with my email address, if you dont mind sharing some of your load data with me.

I will use 3.850 as mine as well, just to be safe, since I dont have a precision tool for measuring it.

So when hunting whitetails with Bergers, at closer ranges, should I avoid shoulder shots ? I'm sorry but I hate tracking, I've always liked taking out a shoulder so that they fall where they are hit. Just wondering if the 210 Hunting VLD can make it through a shoulder and still make the kill ? Sorry if these questions seem noobish, but Im still pretty new to handloading, and never used Bergers before.

It's the same ole debate... shoulder shot vs double lung, and... highly frangible bullets vs controlled expansion frangible vs monometals.

The only thing I ever shot with a 210 Berger was a coyote through the head @ 120 yds. He didn't need to be tracked :)

There just aren't any 100% guarantees. I read all the reports here and other forums on bullet performance that I can. The trend is that most people are satisfied with the hunting bullets they are using... I suppose that's why they are using them. Another trend is that every bullet has some dis-satisfied users for various reasons. I try to take it all in and make as good an objective judgement as I can.

Accuracy is my first priority followed by terminal performance and BC ranks high. Most bullets get good scores in those areas with some being a little stronger in one area than another. For terminal performance, I would like a bullet that holds together well for worst case scenarios and monometals are the best for that IMO. I have read a lot of good reports and a few not so good reports on the Bergers. Chances are probably 90% or better that a 210 Berger will easily penetrate the shoulders. although I like monometals better, I think your best chances of a DRT are with a Berger like bullet put through both lungs which will likely result in the instantaneous destruction of the lungs. Shoulder shots tend to anchor a game animal very well, but not always and sometimes result in minimal lung damage. That, and the loss of meat is why I look for a double lung if I can get it.

This last fall I shot a buck antelope @ 280 yds with a 115 Ballistic Silvertip (same as a Ballistic Tip) out of a 25-06. The entrance hole under the hide was about 1" and the exit hole was about 1 1/2" - 2", right behind the shoulder through both lungs. It took off like it wasn't even hit, ran in about a 30 yd circle for about 100 yds and piled up. That's the first time I ever had animal hit that well and go that far. A shoulder shot may have dropped it, but I've read a few stories of shoulder shot critters getting up and trotting off. There just aren't any guarantees. Pick a bullet and take your best shot.

-Mark

Last edited:
Using 96gr. of Retumbo behind 190 gr. bergers. Was able to push to 97gr. But started to find some pressure signs and the E.S. went to 70 FPS. and gave a vel. of 3256 FPS. With 96gr. the vel. droped to 3165 but had only 2.5 FPS E.S.
Also the accuracy of the 96 grs. was 3/8".
Rifle is a REM Sandero 26" factory Barrel. Have used to 'Tubb' bullets for barrel break in. Improved accuracy by 1/4" and barrel clean-up is easier.lightbulb

It is not for man to direct his steps!

Welp, I have hit a financial "snag", so the gun is probably going up for sale. Its a shame considering it was only fired 9 times. Anyone interested PM me, I will be listing it shortly. Gun, brass, Hornady Dies and Berger bullets.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.