Primer Question

misterc01

I accidentally bought a box (1000) of Federal Large Rifle Magnum Primers (215M) instead of just regular 210 M Federal Match Primers.

The question: Can I use the Magnum primers, and if so, what do I need to change? "Someone" wrote "Yes, if you back off X grains of powder." Anyone have an actual workable answer or should I just try to sell them? Thanks in advance.

If you are near max loads be careful how you work up to you current load.

I backed off 5%, loaded 1 each at 1% increments to test for pressure. I personally use Fed 210 and CCI #34 (military & magnum) interchangeably in 308 with ~43gr 4064. Note this is not a hot load.

I'm not sure where you purchased the primers at but if the box hasn't been opened or beat up and you bought them from the local sporting goods store, they may be willing to trade them for your required primer.

I hate to say it but, a different primer for your recipe you are using for your rifle can and will change the ignition of the powder. It may be catastrophic or no big deal but I wouldn't take the chance myself.

I myself would back down 2-3 grains at least and then work back up. Load 3 rounds for each rung of the ladder and fire them out working just like it's a normal ladder. There is a chance absolutely nothing will change but also there is a chance of things going bad for you.

Think it over, call your vendor and ask if they would be willing to swap out your primers first and then decide what action to take.

Be safe.

Also, why don't you ask the boss to move this thread to the reloading section where it will get far more attention and answers.

I would stash them for another project or for bad times when components are hard to find. Return and trade them in if the store will take a return for standard primers, or sell them to a Magnum loving buddy.
I have found with some cartridges hotter primers work good and sometimes they are a NO NO.
If the tension on the neck is low and cartridge case on the small side, Accuracy seems to suffer. I think the prime explosion sometimes moves the bullet before the powder pressure moves the bullets.
The velocity will go up and down, Noting that pressure could be changing too.
If you want to try them, I suggest you go back to starting load and start over.
Good Luck and be safe.

I have found that Fed-210 Match are hotter or seem to be, than Fed-210 primers. So be careful of that too. Maybe some have found something different, but that may be me. So theirs lots to reloading in making up a round for your rifle. That's the real fun of it. You can change case, primers, powder, bullets, how you size the case up, seat the bullet. To add a little bit more. The primers does move the bullet first, into the lands, then the power sets in. My final part is what it does to the animal. My standards are, velocity, accuracy, and how it works on the animal I am shooting. I am not what you would call a long range shooter. 500 yds is generally my max.

There is no correction formula to apply for changing primers, it's trial and error.

Federal 215M will increase your velocity spread, so if it's for precision, rather sell them and buy the right ones.

Generally the store will not take them back. They don't know if someone has messed with them. I can blame them either. I am not saying that anybody has messed with them.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.