Primer question

KSB209

Please forgive my ignorance but.....

new to reloading and have so many questions but this should be an easy one. I haven't started loading yet and just really reading up and watching for equipment. With the shortages everywhere if I find magnum primers or large rifle can they be somewhat enter changeable? For example, I want to load for 270, 308, and 300wm in the near future. Can a large rifle primer work on a 300wm and/or mag primer on 270 or 308?

I know different primers will effect accuracy and function differently but if I cannot find exactly what I need or want can I substitute one for the other or are there safety concerns?

It's not ingnorance, you don't know what you don't know and asking is smart. So simple answer is yes you can work up a load with a Mag primer for a standard cartridge and you can work up a load for a Mag cartridge with a standard primer. Key is working up and starting out within published data if your just getting started. Using mag primers in the 308 or 270 won't cause issues if you work it up. Standard primers in a mag cartridge usually only is an issue with hard to light slow burning powders or low ambient temps. Ive even seen better SD's and ES's with standard primers in Mag cartridges and vice versa.

Edit: if you do figure out a load and then switch any component you should back off your charge or start over until you get more experience with reloading and reading pressure signs and knowing whether you are already pushing high pressure or are low enough that swapping a primer brand or mag vs standard will or won't cause an over pressure issue

Last edited:
Just be sure to work up and watch for problems! You may experience hang fires using regular primers in a magnum . Maybe!! I've not tried it but it could be a possibility

Thanks guys. That's sort of what I thought but the reloading manual don't really say too much about this subject that I've seen but I only have 1 book so far

All good advise above. My rule of thumb is if a cartridge holds less than 60 grs of powder I use a standard primer if it holds more than 60 grs of powder I start with a mag primer. Between 50-70 I test both if I am not getting good results. I tend to use Mag primers for all the short mag sized cases.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts