Primer Question

YZ-80

Hi all,

Long time no post. Anyway, I recently sold my 6.5 X 47 and forgot that I had 500 CCI 450 small rifle magnum primers on hand. Do they have any application in AR-15 loading? I didn't know if they might be too hot. I don't do any other small rifle hand loading so if they are not suitable I may trade them for "favors". Let me know.

Cheers!

-YZ
9E867D05-C5C3-44FB-BF50-605D56C03A90.jpeg

I use cci450 in 300bo as I'm using 296, h110, lil gun and 1860. Bullet weights from 110-185 for 8.5" barrel loads. Loading at 1k muzzle energy. Just my preference.

Cci450 are the same as CCI #41 except the 41 is hardcup
In addition to being hardened aren't the 41's a little lower profile so they fit a little lower than flush with the primer cup to prevent slam fires? I mean the whole reason for 41's is really to prevent slam fires in the AR-15 platform, right?
The military doesn't like surprises, so their specs are tougher. Everyone here says 450's work fine, and I'm sure they do,
99.99 % of the time......but then there's one time where some trash got in the chamber or something was off and there is a slam fire.

If it was me, I'd sell or trade those 450's as they are more in demand anyway for something else you want and I'd load 41's.
That's just me.

@Veteran.
No, 41's aren't different in how they seat, they are less sensitive with a harder cup.
All primers are designed to be seated below flush with the case head and have the anvil and cup crushed until they are flush with each other. This crush also pre-compresses the priming pellet slightly, which is a design feature. It needs this so that the pellet gets all of the firing pin energy.
Different primer brands require different crush. Some only require .003" crush once the primer hits the bottom of the pocket, others .004" and military can be as much as .008".
Federal primers are sensitive to crush amount, Winchester not so much.

Cheers.

As far as the harder cup Idk but they seat the same in my 5.56 brass anyway, below flush. I do normally run 41s but the 450s are the same as to my knowledge.

From my research, the 41s are made on the same line as BRs or gold medals for the most consistency. Other than that the 41s are just a magnum primer.

Primer hight doesn't cause Slam fires ( they could only if seated improperly) Slam fires are caused by the firing pin rebounding.
It's also caused by the primer moving under it's own weight, which is why it's called a slam fire. Military rounds also have a tar like substance to stop primer movement, as well as a crimp. Many think the tar is a sealant, which it is, but it's also a glue.
I discovered this working at ADI, where they were making 20mm cannon shells.
Wish I still had access to that powder!

Cheers.

Cheers.