Primer question

Tex Hancock

I was in a gun store the other day and ask if he had Large rifle magnum primers of Corse he said no but told me I could use LR primers instead in my magnum loads.
Does anyone have any experience in using LR primers in place of magnum primers

The question has been discussed a number of times. Use the search button (upper right of screen) and put in "primers magnum vs standard" and you will get the link(s) to those discussions.

Me not personally but my buddy shoots tiny holes with a quarter minute 300 WM using 210 Fed primer, with 210 vlds with H4831sc . Alot is going to depend on amount and type of powder!

I do it all the time. In many cases a standard primer will have tighter es then a magnum even in some fairly large magnum cartridges.

It also depends on what powder your sparking, RL33 for example I never had luck with LR primers I think it needs a magnum.

I don't really care what the primer is labeled, I only care what it looks like on the target and across the chrono. Seen some fantastic 300 wm loads with 210m's and on the other side seen some great 22-250 loads with 215's and cci 250's. Ymmv.

If you're going to do this on a hunting cartridge you'll want to test at cold temps to make sure it doesn't get weird.

Just one more thought. I have read that if you do get an incompatible powder/primer combination, using a standard primer (in place of a magnum primer) with a magnum powder load you may get a hang fire. So if you go 'click' and the rifle doesn't go 'boom' wait for at least 30 seconds or more before attempting to unload the round.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.