Primer problems ?

Time Killer

I am pressing Federal 210m primers in Lapua brass and they all have a slight smear to them afterwards. They are flush with cartridge.
I had someone load my first set and they did not have this. Are mine unsafe? I am new to reloading and don't want to make a boneheaded move.
I am using the Hornady hand tool if that helps.
Thanks!

It sounds like a deformation, or you might have debris on the primer seating rod in your seating tool. I have seen a flake of powder on the seating rod cause shallow primer indentations. I would check this first. I'm not sure of your seating tool construction but I would also make sure the rod has not been installed upside down if applicable. I know the RCBS tool will do this if the rod is reversed. One end has a slightly rounded shape , the other, flat. Just some ideas.

I will check all of those things. Thanks for the advice!
Here is a pic. So, do you think they will fire? Safely?
photo5-1.jpg

Wrong seating rod and possibly upside down as well.....

RCBS hand primers have 2 seating rods, a tiny one and a fat one but you need to change the carrier as well. The small primer rod fits the white carrier and the large primer rod fits the black carrier......

Radius end down on both...

Same tool I use, in my Lazy boy with my feet up, enjoying the fire in the woodstove.......:)

....primers need to be seated slightly below the surface of the case head, not flush.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.