Primer pocket tightness question

smokin502

I have a 300wm and loaded primers onto new Hornady brass and seemed very tight. I didn't do any prep to the pockets. Just loaded primers. After shooting and was checking them, found all were more loose than when new. Showed no signs of pressure issues. They are not loose to were I can push them without the hand loader tool, just not as hard as new. Any thoughts? It this normal?

Definitely what L.Sherm said. LOL. Hornady brass is know to be kinda soft. If you run moderate loads though it can last quite a while. I've gotten 10 reloads outta some 6.5 CM cases, but I don't run them hard.

AmmoSmith on Youtube has a method for determining whether a primer pocket is too loose to use anymore. I like it and use the test often for a case I'm thinking about retiring. It starts at minute 5 in this vid.

Was just sitting in the basement putting primers in some hornady brass for my 308 and after 4 firings the pockets are loose. And I mean loose. I'm not even sure I should actually load them. And my loads aren't real hot. A 168 amax with 44gr of varget. Think I'll go to nosler brass next.

Hornady brass is no where near as soft as Federal brass!
I have had factory loads in both 300WM & 338WM where the pockets were so loose that a new primer would fall out after trying to seat them.

I like Hornady brass, especially their 416 Rigby brass.

Just as a warning to you, Nosler brass has been known to be soft also.

Cheers.
:)

Not that it helps for belted magnum guys but, although it costs more, you tend to get many more reloads out of Lapua brass because the pockets hold up better. I have some 6.5x47 brass (small primers) that I must have 30 firings on and still going. Pockets are still tight and I've only annealed once. The way I see it, if you can get about double the firings on better brass, you only pay for shipping once instead of twice and that should bring the cost more in line.

I'm with some of the above fellas on Hornady brass. . .not very durable. I shoot several brands of brass depending on caliber and I would say Norma and Lapua is about 50% of what I use, then there is good o'le LC brass which I shoot in a few rifles and handguns. The LC brass takes a little more prepping, but I don't mind tinkering, and the stuff is **** near indestructible! Next would be RWS, but that stuff IS PRICEY!!!

On another note; I have a rifle that loves to be run hard and primer pockets only stay snug for 4 firings (on Lapua brass mind you). I learned a little secrete on how to tighten my prime pockets up to last a few more loadings. It involves a 1/2" hard-chrome ball bearing (Amazon Prime), long hardened steel shank/dowel a little smaller in diameter than case mouth and a 32 oz. ball peen hammer along with your calipers. For my shank I used an old Craftsman screwdriver and cut both ends off to have about a 10" section to work with. Next I used a piece of hardwood (Ipe) 2"x8" about a foot long and drilled a shallow snug hole (1/3 but not more than 1/2 the ball bearing diameter both depth/width) to place the bearing in. First, mic the loose primer pocket so you know your starting point. With the loose primer pocket case, de-primed, place over the bearing, slide the shank in the case mouth and center over inside primer flash hole. Hold shank/cartridge firmly in one hand applying downward pressure on the bearing and with other hit the shank a few good licks. Now check your primer pocket with caliper or primer, repeat if it is not just right. If you get it too tight the RCBS swagging tool for military brass makes it perfect. There was a Youtube video of this process floating around a few years ago that shows you just how simple this process is. Hope this helps you guys and saves you some cash for more powder and bullets!

I loaded some 30.06 ammo for a friend this weekend using his hornady brass. Primer pockets were very inconsistent. Also a large variation in internal case capacity. Had me reweighing loads thinking machine had dropped incorrect charges. This brass was all from once fired factory ammo.

I loaded some 30.06 ammo for a friend this weekend using his hornady brass. Primer pockets were very inconsistent. Also a large variation in internal case capacity. Had me reweighing loads thinking machine had dropped incorrect charges. This brass was all from once fired factory ammo.
Winchester and Remington Brass ,made in the USA? Winchester rated A and Remington rated B. I have old Remington Peters brand they are rated A. Hornady rated C.

Last edited:
It's not the best brass but if you're gonna run hot Winchester brass holds up good! Gotta trim, deburr, and weight sort but it's half the price of premium brass!

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.