Primer pocket tightness question

So I went to the range and compared the 2 hornaday and Norma brass. I use the same exact powder and weight for each. 2 things that were weird about both. None of the Norma brass pockets were loose, and all of the hornaday rounds shot 40 to 50 fps faster. Most of the Hornady brass have loose pockets. Both were never shot before. Hornady brass avg 2813, Norma brass avg 2746 fps

I don't think I follow, which will likely become apparent with these comments.

Weigh the empty cases and compare. 2 Hornady versus 2 Norma.

If the Hornady cases weigh substantially more than the Norma, then that could explain higher Hornady velocity. Higher pressure and MV due to less casing capacity (volume).

If you're saying the 2 Hornady brass primer pockets are loose AFTER firing, then those case heads are may be weak compared to the Norma. Or the Hornady cases experienced higher pressure which produced the higher velocities. Or both...

Bingo! That'll do it.

The heavier cases have less room in them which causes a pressure increase? Right? Even the lower pressure rounds made the Hornady primer pockets loose. Which sucks because I have new Hornady brass that I don't want to use now. Thx for the info, still fairly new at the reloading process and still learning.

Was just sitting in the basement putting primers in some hornady brass for my 308 and after 4 firings the pockets are loose. And I mean loose. I'm not even sure I should actually load them. And my loads aren't real hot. A 168 amax with 44gr of varget. Think I'll go to nosler brass next.

Not telling you what to do but I think you will not enjoy the life of nosler brass any more than that. If you want 10x the brass life for less, lapua is the cats meow.

The heavier cases have less room in them which causes a pressure increase? Right? Even the lower pressure rounds made the Hornady primer pockets loose. Which sucks because I have new Hornady brass that I don't want to use now. Thx for the info, still fairly new at the reloading process and still learning.

Yes, that's correct. That extra brass weight takes up space, so less volume. Less volume causes higher pressure with all else in the loads being equivalent.

I had an issue with Hornady brass a little while ago. After an alternative was identified, I purchased RWS brass. RWS and Lapua run neck to neck in consistently good quality and case head/primer pocket strength. They'll be a big improvement in case head strength compared to Hornady, most Nosler brass, and most Norma brass. Although the Nolser and Norma brass can vary in strength somewhat by specific cartridge. The Lapua and RWS are generally tough in all the cartridges they're manufactured in.

Here's a link to my Thread on my Hornady cases.
https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/blew-a-primer-_-analysis.197020/

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.