price range for long range rifle

marcus_rubbo

i am looking to spend around $2500 to $3000 on a long range rifle to train with before i enter the marines...im going to a shooting school called centeral virgina tactical and i need a rifle to do this kind of shooting and im leaning in the direction of a .308 just because that would most likely be what i would shoot in the marines after i work my @$$ off and make it to sniper school. i have 2 years before im going to enlist so i want to train ahead of time so that i can be succesfull in becoming a scout/sniper i know that being a sniper isent all about shooting and all of that information i will also take stalking classes there and i would love for some recomendations on who makes this type of rifle for example H S Precision or somthing along those lines in the price range that im looking for....i will also need glass and a good base to mount it with. i know this is very open and i expect alot of different recomendations but i want to know what you guyz think because i respect most of your opinoins. thanks alot!
http://www.centralvirginiatactical.com/CVTtraining_open.htm

A Remington 700 PSS in .308 and a good glass would be a good start, its also a great platform for a custom rifle down the road. I would also post this same question on The Snipers Hide, there are several Military and LE Snipers that frequent that board.

HTH
Frank D

Marcus. pretty much any of the heavy barreld 308 from Savage or rem would serve you well as a "practice" gun in prepairing for the m-40 based rig that the Marines use. You can get a Rem 700 vs and a realy good scope for the price range your looking at. Your gonna want to get a scope that has the mil-dos set up like the ones that the marines use so you'll be acusstomed to them and how they work.

I think that the biggest piece of advice that can be offered is that you make sure that your practice is the same as that the Marines use otherwise your gonna end up with an irrate teacher that trying to break your bad habits. This is the main reason that its easier to teach sombody that has never shot beofre to be a great shot than it is to teach sombody that has been shooting all their life INCORRECTLY. Yea you can teach an old dog new tricks but its a pain in the *** due to them thinking that "what they have been doing has worked so why change"

Marcus

A good Rem or Savage LE/McM A5 stock would be the ticket or a used 308 off snipers hide. Do not waste your money on new a build up gun now IMO. You will need a scope and spotting scope and reloading items also.

Gander Mtn in Fredericksburg has a good used TRG in 308 for $1250 I think.

Listen to what Vernon tells you about scopes. he likes the IOR and he can get one for you as cheap as anyone else.

Vernon is top notch sniper instructor(one of the absolute best and retired SF and other federal "ABC" agencies) and you would be better off buying a good off the shelf rifle and scope and then spending the extra money for a couple weekends with him.

Just watch the glare off his head!!

BH

haha thanks alot bounty hunter im glad to hear somebody else say that he is a top notch instructor and i was also wondering what magnification i should go with for a scope- i have heard some bad things about leupold and i was wondering if any of you would say that you have had good or bad experice with them and if not leupold then what? i was also wondering if i should go with target turrets or a BDC system....i have heard that there is software that can be used to print off BDC stickys and just place them on target turrets...when finding a rifle for me i just want to make shure that i get quality equiptment, i would rather do it one time the right way and spend a little more money to get the better equiptment than get decent equiptment and be left going back for somthing better. any more advice would be great!

JD and BH told you the truth. Get the correct equipment and do it the jarhead way. There is no other way than their way.

Secondly, you have to get to sniper school and if you can't handle the physical training issues of basic training it is not going to matter how good your finger is on the trigger. A daily physical training program started now will help take the stress off of the initial training. Upper body strength and leg endurance will get you there.

im in really really good shape and intend to score like 285 or 290 on my pft. i know all of the things that go into becomeing a sniper i read it like every day and im almost bored cuz ive read all the articals online so i know what it takes i just need equiptment. the guy i will be training with was a usmc sniper and im shure he will teach me acordingly....im not disreguarding you advice but i dont really need to know about fittness i need to know about rifles and optics.

Thanks agian bounty, I havent ever spoke to him i have talked with someone else from CVT, dose he have enough time to talk to me about a rifle and optics i wouldent know if he would take that time to talk to me about it.

you have been a really big help since your the first person ive talked to that knows this instuctor, ill definatly give him a call tomarrow. i took a look at IOR and they look like very nice rifles and the price is reasonable

You may want to call a good smith and have one built for you, like Shawn Carlock from Defensive Edge or George Garner from GAP. The Marines use the McMillan A4 stock right now, with custom Remington action and barrel, built up in house by Marines. So you may want to look into ordering a Mac A4 and have a Remington action built up into a rifle for you.

Check out snipershide.com for more info.

Here is an example of a good used gun at a reaonable price.

Also would not get hung up on $3000 gun and no money left for skill training and other equip. that does not pass the common sense test. Particularily when there are studies to go away from the bolt gun to semis underway in both the Army and USMC. You are a good 2-3 yrs out from going to the sniper school and lot of changes are happening fast.

http://www.snipershide.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=15;t=009235

BH

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.