Quality scope for long range mountain rifle

Hard finding every thing you like at a weight and cost that work.Lot of zoom is hard on all optics,Hard swallow 3 big ones for a TT

For your criteria I would want locking turrets. My choice would be S&B 3-20x50 ultra short, with a simple mildot reticle. The turrets are low profile and field of view is excellent at lower powers.
Good choice. Also coming to like the March CT 2.5-25 on my recent 6.5 Sherman build though I don't have much use for the lower end of the power spectrum. Still thinking I like the 4-32 NX8 a little better...reticle, performance, toughness, and turret ergonomics and quality. The March gets a little tight when twisting power past 4x and comes with a plastic throw lever. So many good options.

To answer the holding zero question about the March...my son borrowed my 6.5 Max for a mountain bear hunt. Handed it to a "buddy" to carry while he helped with a downed animal. The "buddy" then clobbered it on the rocks in a fall. Banged up the side turret a bit and some other stuff. My son was pretty upset about it, but not being able to check zero on the spot, he took a crack at a deer at 200 yd on a drive and it rung true. That part is good for sure. It's just little things about it I don't like quite as good as NF.

Last edited:
Good choice. Also coming to like the March CT 2.5-25 on my recent 6.5 Sherman build though I don't have much use for the lower end of the power spectrum. Still thinking I like the 4-32 NX8 a little better...reticle, performance, toughness, and turret ergonomics and quality. The March gets a little tight when twisting power past 4x and comes with a plastic throw lever. So many good options.

To answer the holding zero question about the March...my son borrowed my 6.5 Max for a mountain bear hunt. Handed it to a "buddy" to carry while he helped with a downed animal. The "buddy" then clobbered it on the rocks in a fall. Banged up the side turret a bit and some other stuff. My son was pretty upset about it, but not being able to check zero on the spot, he took a crack at a deer at 200 yd on a drive and it rung true. That part is good for sure. It's just little things about it I don't like quite as good as NF.

I really like my March. But like you I prefer more magnification. The 4-32X is much more attractive to me than the 2 1/2-25X, but its weight is prohibitive.

Maven RS.1 or RS.3..solid value good glass I have been impressed ($1,200-$1600)
Leupold Mark 5 3.6x18 the only thing I dont like is the 35mm rings--the ring choices are slim ($1800)
Old Bushnell LRHS solid hunting scope, glass is not great but good enough... ($800) if you can find one...
Burris XTR III 3.3x18 I bit heavy--glass is ok--but not great--I like the capped wind (about $1600)
dont have any experence with march--but I hear good things---I have found Nightforce NSX and others in the sub 2K price range kind of mehhh...I'm a FFP guy but if you want SFP I like the X5 Swarovski it is pretty crisp....my next scope will be a Tangent Theta 3-15 hunter...love the turret on them

Last edited:
I'll recommend something in the NF lineup as that is what I use.
NX8 4-32
ATACR 4-16
NX8 2.5-20
Rugged, Reliable.
Great Glass, Turrets, Reticles.
Excellent Repeatable Tracking.
Nice size & weight.
Great Warranty & Service.

I spent a lot of time researching scopes for a light weight elk rifle I had built a couple years ago. In spite of mixed reviews I went with a 3-18 VX6HD. After 3 trips back to the manufacturer I sold it and went with my first choice, a NF 2.5-10x42. Problem fixed. It tics all of your boxes and I've used a couple of them too shoot marmots as far as 796 yards. Weight about 20 oz.
This! 10x is is plenty for 1000 yard and in killing.

This! 10x is is plenty for 1000 yard and in killing.

For killing you are correct, I guess. A few years ago I decided to trophy hunt. I wanted a blacktail deer with four points on both sides and wider than the ears. I glassed up a buck on the move with horns wider than the ears but could not make out with my 8X binoculars if it had four points on both sides. I got into shooting position and turned up the scope until I could verify I wanted to shoot. After I fired I looked at the scope setting: 12X. With 10X I would have had to let it walk. There would not have been time to check it with a spotter. By the time I fired its walking momentum carried it behind a conifer which was the beginning of the forest. It would not have been available for another shot. It was less than 100 yards away.

By the way it was a totally overcast day with heavy moisture in the air. I was on the sundown side of the hill and the sun was not over it yet. So the deer had that going for it too. The scope had fairly good glass since it was a Swarovski z5 5-25X52. You enjoy your 10X and I will enjoy my 25X or 30X.

For killing you are correct, I guess. A few years ago I decided to trophy hunt. I wanted a blacktail deer with four points on both sides and wider than the ears. I glassed up a buck on the move with horns wider than the ears but could not make out with my 8X binoculars if it had four points on both sides. I got into shooting position and turned up the scope until I could verify I wanted to shoot. After I fired I looked at the scope setting: 12X. With 10X I would have had to let it walk. There would not have been time to check it with a spotter. By the time I fired its walking momentum carried it behind a conifer which was the beginning of the forest. It would not have been available for another shot. It was less than 100 yards away.

By the way it was a totally overcast day with heavy moisture in the air. I was on the sundown side of the hill and the sun was not over it yet. So the deer had that going for it too. The scope had fairly good glass since it was a Swarovski z5 5-25X52. You enjoy your 10X and I will enjoy my 25X or 30X.
Yeah, it's nice to have more Xs for sure. Just if we are looking at weight and rock solid reliable dialing that little nxs covers a lot of bases. Those situations can certainly happen.

My votes go to March 3-24 or NF NX8 4-32. A slight edge to the March for hunting.

I've had March scopes on my hunting rifles (a 260 REM and 300WM) for years and never had a problem.
Same for me and a few buddies with the March scopes. My March 2.5x25x52 SFP has been through some very rigorous hunting. No problems at all with holding zero and tracking. Superb performance, light weight, and great optics.

I spent a lot of time researching scopes for a light weight elk rifle I had built a couple years ago. In spite of mixed reviews I went with a 3-18 VX6HD. After 3 trips back to the manufacturer I sold it and went with my first choice, a NF 2.5-10x42. Problem fixed. It tics all of your boxes and I've used a couple of them too shoot marmots as far as 796 yards. Weight about 20 oz.
Yeah, I've had my fill of internal scope failures due to muzzle braked magnum rifles. An interesting solution to a dependable, lightweight scope...

So do you typically pack along a spotting scope for antler definition? Or just run with the 10X power on your NF scope for sizing up the critters?

I have been on the same quest for several years. I started off going light rifle topped with the NXS becaise it was the only scope I truly trusted. Then I decided to thy a SIG whiskey 5 and it's a great scope but still 25 oz. So I decided to go try the 3-15 vx5hd. It has been on my ultralight 6.5 faun for 2-3 years now. This rifle goes everywhere with me. It rides in the truck, on the ATV and has been carried a lot of miles. I don't recall ever dropping it but it's definitely well used and that thing is great. I really love the zero lock feature also. And the weight is pretty hard to beat. I'd take that rifle on any hunt and not worry a bit. In fact it's headed to Alaska in 23' and I'm not the least bit worried