Quality scope for long range mountain rifle

I have been on the same quest for several years. I started off going light rifle topped with the NXS becaise it was the only scope I truly trusted. Then I decided to thy a SIG whiskey 5 and it's a great scope but still 25 oz. So I decided to go try the 3-15 vx5hd. It has been on my ultralight 6.5 faun for 2-3 years now. This rifle goes everywhere with me. It rides in the truck, on the ATV and has been carried a lot of miles. I don't recall ever dropping it but it's definitely well used and that thing is great. I really love the zero lock feature also. And the weight is pretty hard to beat. I'd take that rifle on any hunt and not worry a bit. In fact it's headed to Alaska in 23' and I'm not the least bit worried
That Leupold VX5 scope will probably survive over repeated recoil on a 6.5 whatever...

But not mounted on a muzzle braked 338 LAI, based on other's experiences.

Last edited:
I had a mark 4 on a braked 338NM,LIGHT 7-2 OZ for 5 years with good luck,just didnt like 6 on low end.The March I have,if it was as good optically as my Mark 5 Id be stoked.I use scope to judge game.Love everything else about the March.Wish I had another to look thru,but very picky past 20 and really fuzzy paralax make it slow and hard to use when your flopped over in a snow bank.Also bummed because of cost over the Mark 5, That is a large scope,to big as a packer IMO.I would like to see a Tangent or PM2,but dont have access,and the more under 30 oz is what I like,just really like 20x. Also cost on TT,woh

Yeah, I've had my fill of internal scope failures due to muzzle braked magnum rifles. An interesting solution to a dependable, lightweight scope...

So do you typically pack along a spotting scope for antler definition? Or just run with the 10X power on your NF scope for sizing up the critters?
Where I hunt generally the elk are going to be near enough to judge them through my Zeiss 10x binos… or across a canyon where ranges are going to be 8-1200 yards. I use a different rifle and a spotting scope when hunting across the canyon.