Price Gougers

From what I have seen this corona crap and political stuff has brought many of us together having never met one another and most likely will not, some are giving up components they have collected at no charge I have seen it, most selling at a loss if they had to replace it tomorrow ,and some selling at the cost they paid but still giving the item up so another can shoot or hunt this is all wonderful stuff Karma will take care of they ones you all have been speaking of and I am sure it will be ugly if all is right .

I agree with everything that is said. My dilemma is, I found some elusive H1000 at a broker with a 2lb limit. So I bought my two pounds, had my son-in-law and my brother buy me their 2lb limit. Not being a very smart guy, I paid shipping AND Hazmat on every two pounds. I'm into them for $61 per pound. A guy on a local hunting forum needed a pound and I told him I would sell him a pound for $60 bucks AND boy did "I" get hammered on that forum. So I only trade now👍🏻

(And I thought I could spare a pound for him)
That is unfortunate when your just trying to get what you paid.

I am a firm believer in the free enterprise system and agree that it is the best foundation we could have for our economy. Price gouging is not a function of a free enterprise system or capitalism nor is it a moral or ethical opinion, it is a matter of law. All but a few states have laws pertaining to price gouging, those that don't have laws still prosecute under various local statutes. While the definition varies, in most states a 10-25% increase in price above normal constitutes price gouging during a declared state of emergency/disaster declaration. Most states renewed their state of emergency/disaster declarations in January due to COVID-19. You can read more about the laws here:

On a side note, I believe that because of these laws, most manufacturers are keeping their prices stable or with only a small increase to cover increased costs. It's just a matter of time before money hungry state governments seek to increase their revenues via fines on those who are guilty of price gouging.

Good luck on getting any prosecution for "gougers" of sporting items that are completely unrelated to the emergency on hand. In all reality for most people shooting sports are a luxury item, not required for survival. I mean I love shooting but can not figure out how so many people compare it to food, water, or medical items.....Seriously?? Those are what the INTENT of the law cover

I am a firm believer in the free enterprise system and agree that it is the best foundation we could have for our economy. Price gouging is not a function of a free enterprise system or capitalism nor is it a moral or ethical opinion, it is a matter of law. All but a few states have laws pertaining to price gouging, those that don't have laws still prosecute under various local statutes. While the definition varies, in most states a 10-25% increase in price above normal constitutes price gouging during a declared state of emergency/disaster declaration. Most states renewed their state of emergency/disaster declarations in January due to COVID-19. You can read more about the laws here:

It's just a matter of time before money hungry state governments seek to increase their revenues via fines on those who are guilty of price gouging.
Wishful thinking, won't happen. If gouging is in the spotlight, TX utility companies will be in the forefront after the last 2 weeks.

Suppose you're out in the desert with a large group of people. Everybody went there on the spur of the moment and finally realize that they have nothing to eat. Being better prepared and with more foresight than the others, despite being just a small kid, you brought along 5 loaves of bread and two fish. What do you think you could get for that with 5000 hungry bidders?
If I were one of the 5,000- I'd go Chuck Norris with the fish on the kid, take the bread and introduce the rest of the group to the fine dining faire of cannibalism. :)

Last edited:
I firmly believe in Karma. Good begets good. I went through my stores of factory ammo that I no longer use. Still had 6-7 boxes of .30-06 that I no longer shoot, some 7mm-mag that I tried and didn't like, I was gifted 2 full jugs (16lbs) of surplus WC-868- you get the picture.

I looked up the per round price on Midway and sold them locally to guys in need at that price. I listed the powder and sold an 8lb jug of WC-868 to a guy who was out of powder- $80 (which depending on site was the going rate- between $60-$80).

I'm not going to gouge anyone. Some guys were so thankful for the ammo because they were almost out. We had a chance to swap contacts so now I have 4-5 more guys that know what I need, I know what they need and we'll watch out for stuff collectively. In my opinion that's the way to do it. If I'm the lucky guy to score an 8lb jug of H-1000 somewhere- **** sure bet I'd divy half of it up and sell it at cost to someone in need.

But that's just me.

Good luck on getting any prosecution for "gougers" of sporting items that are completely unrelated to the emergency on hand. In all reality for most people shooting sports are a luxury item, not required for survival. I mean I love shooting but can not figure out how so many people compare it to food, water, or medical items.....Seriously?? Those are what the INTENT of the law cover
Here's one from December:

Wishful thinking, won't happen. If gouging is in the spotlight, TX utility companies will be in the forefront after the last 2 weeks.
Luckily, this part of east Texas is not on the Texas grid. We are supplied by the Eastern US grid and didn't get caught up in that mess. According to our local supplier, litigation has already begun over the price gouging. Here's one example and I'm sure many more to follow:

Yup, I knew about CTD.....I had stopped shopping there years ago. Now, they will tie it up in court for a few years arguing over the word "nessesity" and wither or not ammo and firearms are "nessesity". I might be wrong, it is Texas after all, but I wouldn't be at all surprised it see it disappear after a bit. It's also a little different than now because the supply is gone and pretty much everybody has raised their priced

My father had an old saying, loosely translated from the Greek; "I close my eyes and sell, you Open yours and buy!" When I see what I think is price gouging I just walk away. If it is a store, I never shop there again.

Back in the Obama days, when firearms right before they were becoming hard find and expensive, I ordered a rifle from a "sportsman's warehouse something" and paid for it. Three days later, they told me my order was cancelled, and they listed the same firearm for twice the price. I walked away. Later, when firearms were back plenty they kept sending me emails to buy. I put them on the ignore list.

I have a couple of local stores, they get a few things here and there and limit sales to each customer, but prices are normal.
Those stores have enjoyed my support for over a decade. As long as they treat me fair, they will have my business.

That is my simple philosophy. You treat me unfair, you loose mine and my friends business for EVER! Life goes on!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.