Price gouging

• Thread starter Deleted member 46119
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 46119

Maybe I shouldn't bring it up.

I can't help myself. I have an over developed sense of "fairness". I just don't think gouging is "fair" so I react to it. I try to keep it low key but it seems that those that support it are sensitive and over react to my replies.

Over they last few years many on the forum have complained about it. Usually not in reference to anyone on the forum.

Is it only OK only to complain if it is "general' or "anonymous"?

I am not concerned if Len choose to "ban" me for this. If this forum has become a market place for gougers and and allows no dissension it may be time for me to go.

Many members on this forum have learned from and contributed a lot to make this forum the successful knowledge base it is. Many feel a kinship and treat each other accordingly. This can bring out some strong feelings for fairness and support for other members at times. This is all good, but we should realise that it is really an internet forum like any other.

Some join the forum to learn and contribute. Others just join for an avenue to sell their wares and make a profit. It is easy to identify who is who. Both groups have their rights.

I take notice that some members sell scarce items in the classifieds just to recoup their cost. Others add exorbitant market up for profit. I just choose to only deal with the former. Do that exclusively and the latter will disappear.

Maybe I shouldn't bring it up.

I can't help myself. I have an over developed sense of "fairness". I just don't think gouging is "fair" so I react to it. I try to keep it low key but it seems that those that support it are sensitive and over react to my replies.

Over they last few years many on the forum have complained about it. Usually not in reference to anyone on the forum.

Is it only OK only to complain if it is "general' or "anonymous"?

I am not concerned if Len choose to "ban" me for this. If this forum has become a market place for gougers and and allows no dissension it may be time for me to go.

Be careful what you ask for ...

IBTL!

Many members on this forum have learned from and contributed a lot to make this forum the successful knowledge base it is. Many feel a kinship and treat each other accordingly. This can bring out some strong feelings for fairness and support for other members at times. This is all good, but we should realise that it is really an internet forum like any other.

Some join the forum to learn and contribute. Others just join for an avenue to sell their wares and make a profit. It is easy to identify who is who. Both groups have their rights.

I take notice that some members sell scarce items in the classifieds just to recoup their cost. Others add exorbitant market up for profit. I just choose to only deal with the former. Do that exclusively and the latter will disappear.

Well said!

Be careful what you ask for ...

IBTL!
What is IBTL?

This messenger has been shot before. Not overly concerned.

So often action is taken without facts or fairness.

Example: in the real world. law and regulatory enforcement must "investigate" complaints. Regardless of the veracity of the complaint or even vetting the complainant. This allows "anti"s to use the enforcement system as a weapon against dissenting voices, legal and moral activities. The "enforcement" officer wants the complaints to stop not to ensure fairness or protect the person being attacked. Repeat the officer wants the complaints to stop not and does not care if rights are trampled.

One of the members of the forum has threatened me. Saying he would use just such tactics.

If LongRangeHunting becomes a similar place, do I want to participate?

jfseaman please lets do look at some facts. You have been pm-ing me to further promote argument. I tried to no avail in more than one instance to explain things to you. It simply did not work. You made reference to me being in a business where I sold firearms and components which I told you is not true. I do ranch and contractor work for the majority of my wages. Firearms and sales of related items, are simply a hobby. Then you accused me of reporting your post, that were degrading to another member, to Len. Again I will tell you, that is not true. I did not contact Len about you or your posts. Someone else must have, which should be of no surprise to you. In one PM you told me that the forum has a rating system for sellers and buyers and maybe you should start a thread about a certain person price gouging. I simply said after reading where Len, for the second time, cleaned up the thread, named you, and instructed you to "stop he would not tolerate your behavior" It was then I told you "If you feel this is right go ahead and see how that works for you" I also asked you to stop contacting me as we see things totally different and I do not wish to hear from you again. But you still PMed me again to offer more rude and descending remarks. I then instructed you to make no further contact to me, or, I would indeed file a complaint to stop what I deem as you harassing me.

Now what is it that you want? I will say it again, it appears to me the answer is conflict or trouble. The person you are uptight about with the price of their items has sold them. So someone felt they were of value at that price. The seller also explained the pricing was comparable to a well know distributer, and this distributer was also out of stock. So they sold all they had as well at this price.

So it would seem, at least to a reasonable person, that whatever point about inflated prices you are trying to prove, about this seller, is a mute point at best.

Good luck in your mission. Whatever it may be.

Jeff

The market determine what price is 'fair' for non-essential merchandise. It always has.

'Price gouging' doesn't really apply to something like rifle brass. It's a non-essential item that one can simply choose to buy, or not.

Price gouging is when necessities (gas, water, food, and so on) are deliberately jacked up in price during times of emergency, when people truly need such basic items, for survival.

Two very different situations.

Status
Not open for further replies.