Pressed checkering???

ThinkN part of the deal is, those lighter colored woods, Birch or Maple, take on a dyed look from the stain used originally from the maker. That might be tuff to completely remove without a wood bleach product.

If Circa 1850 I recommended above won't lift the finish then it isn't coming out any other way.
I am going to get some of the Circa 1850. I checked where it is sold, there are two placed who might have it, and ACE hardware and a Benjamin Moore store that are both local for me. I also believe that keeping this solvent on the wood is key. My plan is to use a white rag soaked with this stripper, place the rag over the checkering to keep the solvent liquid. I am thinking maybe wrapping the area I am trying to treat with some plastic, however not too certain that this solvent will not melt the plastic?? Also during this process I did find out that the Citristrip is water solvent. I use Citristrip on all of my gun stock refinishing jobs, usually it will get into places where one does not want it when it dries; and...it dries white. Citristrip is a real PITA to get out once it is dried and stuck down inside of where the receiver fits. I found that a soft toothbrush and water simply desolves the stuff that I have been chasing for years.

I am going to get some of the Circa 1850. I checked where it is sold, there are two placed who might have it, and ACE hardware and a Benjamin Moore store that are both local for me. I also believe that keeping this solvent on the wood is key. My plan is to use a white rag soaked with this stripper, place the rag over the checkering to keep the solvent liquid. I am thinking maybe wrapping the area I am trying to treat with some plastic, however not too certain that this solvent will not melt the plastic?? Also during this process I did find out that the Citristrip is water solvent. I use Citristrip on all of my gun stock refinishing jobs, usually it will get into places where one does not want it when it dries; and...it dries white. Citristrip is a real PITA to get out once it is dried and stuck down inside of where the receiver fits. I found that a soft toothbrush and water simply desolves the stuff that I have been chasing for years.
Do not get Circa on your skin and do not wrap it in plastic. If you use the wet cotton towel idea handle the rag with gloves or tweezers. Personally, I just put it on with a small brush and let it sit, Re-Apply to keep wet.

Do not get Circa on your skin and do not wrap it in plastic. If you use the wet cotton towel idea handle the rag with gloves or tweezers. Personally, I just put it on with a small brush and let it sit, Re-Apply to keep wet.
Thanks for this information. I use nitrile gloves when doing this type of work. The Circa probably will dissolve these gloves too. I'll follow your recommendations.

Put Circa 1850 stripper on it, then use a brass or nylon brush. The finish will lift right off.

View attachment 498841

View attachment 498842
I went looking for this Circa today, cannot seem to find it as our local businesses and paint stores. I will call the store tomorrow as the sites places where this stirpper is "supposed" to be sold out of and are on their list does not seem to have it on their shelves. Again thank you for this information, I will find it.

I went looking for this Circa today, cannot seem to find it as our local businesses and paint stores. I will call the store tomorrow as the sites places where this stirpper is "supposed" to be sold out of and are on their list does not seem to have it on their shelves. Again thank you for this information, I will find it.
I'd just google it with your local city. If not I saw it on amazon.

I'd just google it with your local city. If not I saw it on amazon.
I Googled it and found nothing. I also called the may local paint and hardware stores. I went to Amazon, found the product, only to find that when I clicked onto the product, there was a note that it was no longer available. I am on a mission and I will find this product. I did find one company,however I think it is located in Canada?? Again that you all for the replies and for trying to help

I Googled it and found nothing. I also called the may local paint and hardware stores. I went to Amazon, found the product, only to find that when I clicked onto the product, there was a note that it was no longer available. I am on a mission and I will find this product. I did find one company,however I think it is located in Canada?? Again that you all for the replies and for trying to help
Yeah it's wierd maybe I was mistaken about amazon. I saw that they went to reviews but it wasn't available. I did the search again and yeah Canada was all I found. Might have to try the Jasco. When I cleaned off the cosmoline from my Enfield I remember some people used Easy Off oven cleaner. I didn't try it and it does bleach the wood blond. Sorry for any misleading information.

Yeah it's wierd maybe I was mistaken about amazon. I saw that they went to reviews but it wasn't available. I did the search again and yeah Canada was all I found. Might have to try the Jasco. When I cleaned off the cosmoline from my Enfield I remember some people used Easy Off oven cleaner. I didn't try it and it does bleach the wood blond. Sorry for any misleading information.
Please no apologies necessary here. I will find this stuff. Doing the searches I am getting more information on this product. It seems like it is almost a liquid more than a gel, which makes sense as it will get into the checkering easier. I think part of the issue is to get the stripper down into the bottom of the checkering where it can work. I'm thinking that "if" I cannot find a stripper I am going to make a pressed checkering tool and deepen the checkering as an alternative. As I wrote in a previous reply, this wood is not going to take to a stain so I think the finish will have to be tinted to get the desired results to look like a darker wood/walnut. When it is done I will post some photos of the finished product.

Methylene Chloride is the reason you're having a hard time finding that paint stripper, and also the reason strippers don't work the way they used to.