Help Support Long Range Hunting by donating:

Precision Scope Mounting For The Working Rifle

By Jim See of Elite Accuracy - - Everybody seems to be an expert when it comes to putting stuff together but a novice when it comes to diagnosing...
By ADMIN · Jan 31, 2019 ·
Rating:
4.78571/5,
  1. Jim See

Jim See Well-Known Member

JB kwik weld. It sets in 20 minutes and creates a surface that hangs on to the scope, it will not slip in it.

ncwg2boatguy likes this.
  2. Jim See

Jim See Well-Known Member

I never tried that and find just thhe opposite with JB kwik weld.

Huggy likes this.
  3. parshal

parshal Well-Known Member

It's definitely a gasket! LOL

4. Huggy

Huggy Member

Some folks state that buying a "quality" set of "perfectly machined rings" will ensure that bedding isn't necessary.
    While I have yet to try the bedding of rings to scope, I'll certainly give it a go PDQ.
    As for "perfectly machined rings," ain't no such animals.
    Close, maybe. REALLY close, I don't doubt it.
    But "Perfectly?" Nope.
    I've bought some of the most expensive machined rings over the years and, being a skeptic, I lapped them anyway.
    Guess what?
    Lapping showed there was STILL some inconsistencies in the machining alignment. Had I used them as-is out of the container my scope body(ies) would have suffered for it. Even if only a small amount. Not something you expect when buying high-end, allegedly "perfect" rings, right?
    And while I don't own the most expensive rifle scopes on the planet, I'm not about to let any of my Nightforce or expensive (to me) Leupold scopes be crunched or cause undue stress upon the internal mechanisms of them, either.
    That said, YMMV and you gotta do what you gotta do and You do YOU, Boo-Boo.
    I'm going to give this a go in the not-too-distant future and see what happens.
    Overnout