Precision Scope Mounting For The Working Rifle

I used marine-tex rapid set just the other day. It worked just fine. However, trying to align the scope with the new "gasket" was bothersome. The epoxy will keep it slipping for sure.
I never tried that and find just thhe opposite with JB kwik weld.

Some folks state that buying a "quality" set of "perfectly machined rings" will ensure that bedding isn't necessary.
While I have yet to try the bedding of rings to scope, I'll certainly give it a go PDQ.
As for "perfectly machined rings," ain't no such animals.
Close, maybe. REALLY close, I don't doubt it.
But "Perfectly?" Nope.
I've bought some of the most expensive machined rings over the years and, being a skeptic, I lapped them anyway.
Guess what?
Lapping showed there was STILL some inconsistencies in the machining alignment. Had I used them as-is out of the container my scope body(ies) would have suffered for it. Even if only a small amount. Not something you expect when buying high-end, allegedly "perfect" rings, right?
And while I don't own the most expensive rifle scopes on the planet, I'm not about to let any of my Nightforce or expensive (to me) Leupold scopes be crunched or cause undue stress upon the internal mechanisms of them, either.
That said, YMMV and you gotta do what you gotta do and You do YOU, Boo-Boo.
I'm going to give this a go in the not-too-distant future and see what happens.
Overnout

I'm sure that Jim See's method is way more scientific than what I do and likely introduces way less stress on scopes but I simply don't have that much time or ability to do it his way. That's why I've used Burris Signature rings with the plastic inserts for a long time on all my rifles. I know it's likely nowhere near the precision his system introduces but once again I don't have the time or ability to use his system plus there is NEVER the slightest hint of a ring mark on the scope mounted my way should I decide to sell or trade the scope.

I'll share one experience I had back when I used to lap rings. I was about to lap rings and couldn't find my lapping rod so a buddy brought his over. Guess what? When we finished and were about to mount my scope we found my lapping rod and decided to touch up the lapping job with my rod. VOILA!!! It gave us lapping wear in different places on the rings. We deduced that the issue was the one or both of the lapping rods were either worn or not straight and both were nearly new.

Another issue. I'm always buying and selling rifles and scopes and rings and bases and will NEVER use anyone else's base, rings, etc.... They are usually messed up by someone that doesn't know what they're doing... Like me I guess... LOL

I HAVE had a couple of my bases bedded by my gunsmith(s) on actions of factory rifles and felt it helped when inconsistencies appeared that couldn't be explained and it helped.

Note also that unless you're using custom actions it seems that scope base mounting holes must not be even nearly aligned parallel to the center of the bore so I have found that the ability of the Burris Signature rings to properly center the scope to the bore before final sighting in is very useful in keeping the reticle operating in the center of it's adjustment range. When I buy used scopes I've found that they're almost always way off to one side or another in the horizontal adjustment range presumably because of being mounted on rifles where the base alignment holes aren't parallel to the bore of their rifles.

By the way... Thanks to Jim See for an excellent article and I'd likely have my gunsmith mount my scopes that way if I ever settled on one scope for one rifle with the same mounting hardware and if I wanted to pursue supreme accuracy.

No... You want to move those rings FORWARD and then torque them because the rifle moves forcefully backward during recoil and the scope through inertia tries not to move with the rifle therefore it ends up sliding forward if not locked down securely.

Inertia def: PHYSICS: a property of matter by which it continues in its existing state of rest or uniform motion in a straight line, unless that state is changed by an external force.

No... You want to move those rings FORWARD and then torque them because the rifle moves forcefully backward during recoil and the scope through inertia tries not to move with the rifle therefore it ends up sliding forward if not locked down securely.

Inertia def: PHYSICS: a property of matter by which it continues in its existing state of rest or uniform motion in a straight line, unless that state is changed by an external force.
ooops your right thank you

Thanks for the great article. I'm going to do this. You mentioned that you use a release product called Mold shield. Is that the rust preventative spray? Any idea where I can get it?

Thanks for the great article. I'm going to do this. You mentioned that you use a release product called Mold shield. Is that the rust preventative spray? Any idea where I can get it?
Not sure I'm sure a google search would show somewhere to order. I believe it is made by Slide.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.