scope mounting

Rick Cullen

Want to say "hi yall". I've been monitoring(lurkin) for a couple of weeks; maybe a month now and since I'm not a LR hunter or shooter(just doing some learnin)I haven't had need to register or post.

Maybe I should put this subject in the "Optics" forum, but being it's my first post, I didn't want to "contaminate" the long range format.

I just acquired a Marlin Model 30 30-30. Neither long range or expensive, infact I traded for it. It'll do what I need to do. ~150 yards max, but I gotsa slight problem mounting a scope on it. I bought a low base and Weaver style rings for quick detatchment if needed. I prefer open sights, but others of the family(primary users) prefer scope.

Problem: when mounted it shows over 40 MOA shooting low. Kinda confirmed it with 25 yard range test. Shootin at a large targe, hitting below the target. I switched the rings around and also was able to reverse(end to end)
smile.gif
the base; to no avail.

I put two paper shims under the rear ring and two under the base mount. Brought it up about16 MOA. I really don't want to turn the turrets to get 18" at a 100 yards or is this ok? Cheap scope also.

Question: can I continue with the shims without undue instability or should I persue another venue? I have no qualms about doing some judicious filing on the bottom of the base and polishing up and re-blackening with Aluminum black. Would this be viable?

I come here cause I KNOW you guys shoot and know your equipment.

Thanks.

...I'm certainly not an expert here... but you might want to start by replacing your scope with an inexpensive Leupold scope (low power variable; shotgun; black powder variety); also rings are available with built in elevation; you can also shim the base with proper shims; if all else fails, you might have to let a local check it out for you firsthand; ......been fun...good shooting...

HPDrifter,
I would first suggest that you take it to a Gunsmith to have it checked out; to determine if the problem can be resolved cheaply. You'll need to shoot some kind of group on some paper to decide if it's really worth sinking any money into. I'd also ask the person you traded with; if they had any problems with it. If you have any issues that are costly to resolve, you may want to consider getting something that you can have some confidence in. Confidence is vital in a hunting situation, and is also a huge safety factor. Bottom line is that you have to know that your bullet will hit the target before you pull the trigger.......

[ 10-26-2004: Message edited by: nighthunter264winmag ]

thanks for the replies.

nighthunter, I did some preliminary shootin with open sights. It probably shot as good as I can with open sights. Only did 50yards, but a quarter would just about cover the groups. Maybe one or two just out of it. Me eyes ain't what they used to be and as much as I prefer open sights on this particular type of rig(I'd probably leave em open, but family wants to shoot also) the groups probably reflect my inadequacies as much as the rifles. Course, I coulda had an exceptional day.
wink.gif

Think I will just shim it up, just to see if it'll group "out yonder", before I do any real mods.

Thanks again.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.