Scope Mounting Question:

HARPERC

I recently bought Savage 93 17 HMR for a sage rat hunt. Last minute kind of thing, as I have 2 others.

I pulled a Leupold Mark 4, 2.5-8x from another rifle, and have run out of vertical. I haven't put tape to it, but I'm 5-6" low at 50 yards.

2 piece base's appear identical, and nothing to be gained by switching them.

Rings sit up very high.

I can shim the rear, or file a bit of the front ring. Has one shim already, didn't gain as much as I hoped.

Question before I do that; Will lower rings change anything?

I have heard of other instances of this happening but it was always either the bases were installed wrong or there was a mix up with the bases from the manufacturer. If this were my rifle I would not resort to shimming, and would probably try to return the bases and rings and try another brand to see if the problem goes away. I have a Savage 93 in 17HMR with a Sightron scope mounted up top and I believe the weaver style bases came installed on the rifle when new, and after mounting the scope in a set of rings (don't remember brand) it functions perfectly.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.