Matching the rifle to the scope?

HARPERC

I have a Leupold Mark 4 LR/T, 3.5-10X, M2 ILLUMINATED TMR. The top of it indicates the BDC is scribed for 7.62 168 gr.
I haven't owned a rifle in .308 for about 30 years, but this winter I plan to buy a rifle to mount this scope on. One of the factory "Tactical's" of one brand or another.
I don't intend to handload, but rather try to get the most out of the factory ammo available.
I won't be hunting, or shooting competitively, just using it for trigger time and keeping the mileage off my hunting guns.
So my question comes down to What barrel length 18-24", with which ammo brand will track "best" with this scope. I'm not expecting perfect, just close is fine.

I'd let the rifle dictate the ammo, as in the most accurate/consistant. The BDC is generic, once you have the rifle and ammo figured out you can shoot and verify actual distances it's good for.

My buddy had a Mk4 with that turret. It was pretty much on with Federal 168 SMK factory match ammo on a Remington 308 R5 MilSpec. His rifle had a 24" barrel. He said that the scope/turret combo was designed to be a mate to the Remington heavy barrel tacticals. I believe the elevation adjustments were 1 MOA clicks.

My buddy had a Mk4 with that turret. It was pretty much on with Federal 168 SMK factory match ammo on a Remington 308 R5 MilSpec. His rifle had a 24" barrel. He said that the scope/turret combo was designed to be a mate to the Remington heavy barrel tacticals. I believe the elevation adjustments were 1 MOA clicks.
Thanks, sorry I'm a bit slow coming back. This sounds correct. Scope is supposedly set up for military use. I don't follow the military stuff closely, and didn't originally intend to use it this way. Original plan was on my 338 RUM and change the BDC. Clicks are 0.5" on this scope. Looking at more scope, and fewer rounds through my hunting gun has kind of started shuffling a few things around. Thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.