Precision 7mm08 ammunition for deer

treyboy7

Just go into the long range stuff, been using Hornady American whitetail 139 gr for years and it puts em down. However it's not very accurate out of my gun, 2-3" groups at 100 and can barely hit a paper plate at 300 with a solid rest. About to purchase several different loads to see what shoots best. I have a Mauser with a rem 1:10 24" barrel. Anyone with a similar setup have any suggestions? I was looking at possibly the 120 gr ttsx or Nosler 120 gr ballistic tips. My thought is the 1:10 twist will probably shoot a lighter bullet more accurately and flatter and 120-140 grains is plenty knockdown for any whitetail.

I have used the 120 gr NBT on whitetails, mulies, and antelope to over 500 yards. They do kill with authority. A stiff load of Varget and the 120 NBTs are very accurate out of my -08s.
TTSXs and Varget have been very accurate also, but I did not care for the terminal performance on game as much.
My load pushes 3120 fps with the 120 NBTs and Varget.
140 NBTs also proved very accurate with Varget in the 7mm-08 for me.

I have used the 120 gr NBT on whitetails, mulies, and antelope to over 500 yards. They do kill with authority. A stiff load of Varget and the 120 NBTs are very accurate out of my -08s.
TTSXs and Varget have been very accurate also, but I did not care for the terminal performance on game as much.
My load pushes 3120 fps with the 120 NBTs and Varget.
140 NBTs also proved very accurate with Varget in the 7mm-08 for me.
I misspoke, did not mean loads I meant I'm about to purchase several boxes of already loaded ammo to try out. I do not currently have anything for reloading, although I am definitely thinking about getting into it! Is there a big difference in accuracy with the factory loaded NBT's vs hand loaded with varget?

Although I only hunt with reloads, I have tried several factory ammunition options just in case I ever need to.

Federal Premium has shot the best in our rifles, in both my wife's and my 7mm-08's. Winchester with 140gr Ballistic Silvertip also shoots very well.

Nosler makes ammo with the 120gr and 140gr Ballistic Tip, these bullets are great for deer.

Hornady has the Custom Lite with a 120gr SST. Their 139gr SST also works great on deer, it's available in their Superformance line.

Bullets between 120gr and 140gr will work in your twist.

Hope this helps

Luis

I misspoke, did not mean loads I meant I'm about to purchase several boxes of already loaded ammo to try out. I do not currently have anything for reloading, although I am definitely thinking about getting into it! Is there a big difference in accuracy with the factory loaded
Although I only hunt with reloads, I have tried several factory ammunition options just in case I ever need to.

Federal Premium has shot the best in our rifles, in both my wife's and my 7mm-08's. Winchester with 140gr Ballistic Silvertip also shoots very well.

Nosler makes ammo with the 120gr and 140gr Ballistic Tip, these bullets are great for deer.

Hornady has the Custom Lite with a 120gr SST. Their 139gr SST also works great on deer, it's available in their Superformance line.

Bullets between 120gr and 140gr will work in your twist.

Hope this helps

Luis
It does thanks for everybody's input! I think I'm going to try the Nosler and Barnes first then if neither shoots well I'll try federal and Hornady. Don't want to break the bank ordering all 4 at once lol. Sounds like nosler is the most popular and I like the ttsx concept so I'm sure one of those will excel. Not too worried about Hornady and federal being more readily available, I can't find anything in 7mm08 around where I live anyways so I'm going to have to order everything I try🥲

Different lot numbers will/can shoot differently. I believe you are wasting your time buying a box of anything to try. If it shoots well, you won't get the same lot number again as loaded ammunition goes to quickly. I'd choose a proven factory ammo (say Federal or Nosler) and commit to it in hopes of it shooting well. If it doesn't, sell the remaining rounds and do it again.

My $.02 anyway.

Steve

I haven't seen 7mm-08 ammo in a while. I looked for some 308 for my godson and there are tons of options, but none for the 7mm-08.
I've thought about buying a different gun but I'm just hoping since it seems like the shortage is slowly coming to an end that companies will start putting out more not as popular calibers like 7-08.

Different lot numbers will/can shoot differently. I believe you are wasting your time buying a box of anything to try. If it shoots well, you won't get the same lot number again as loaded ammunition goes to quickly. I'd choose a proven factory ammo (say Federal or Nosler) and commit to it in hopes of it shooting well. If it doesn't, sell the remaining rounds and do it again.

My $.02 anyway.

Steve
I hear you on that I was hoping that when I found what works best that I could hurry and order a few more boxes of the same batch but I know that's a stretch during these times. All I need is about 3 boxes, I usually maybe go through a box per season so that would last a while. I think if I were to do it all at once I'd go nosler because I've heard that's a good one from several sources.

My opinion is the Nosler 120 Ballistic Tip is the best bullet in the 7mm-08 (I load it for 3 of them with Varget). I'd start there and order as much as you are able. If you are only shooting a box a year, then within a couple hundred yards, it'll shoot around 1 MOA. If it doesn't, I'd start checking the rifle.

With the cost of factory ammo, you may consider Choice Ammunition. It should be much more consistent, you can check inventory and order a little variety and probably still get the same lot when you find what shoots best: https://choiceammunition.com/product/7mm-08-120-grain-nosler-ballistic-tip100-hand-loaded/

Good luck!
Steve

Last edited:
Just go into the long range stuff, been using Hornady American whitetail 139 gr for years and it puts em down. However it's not very accurate out of my gun, 2-3" groups at 100 and can barely hit a paper plate at 300 with a solid rest. About to purchase several different loads to see what shoots best. I have a Mauser with a rem 1:10 24" barrel. Anyone with a similar setup have any suggestions? I was looking at possibly the 120 gr ttsx or Nosler 120 gr ballistic tips. My thought is the 1:10 twist will probably shoot a lighter bullet more accurately and flatter and 120-140 grains is plenty knockdown for any whitetail.

I am curious, have you fired other factory ammo thru your gun and if so how'd it shoot for you? I really kind of shocked that the 139 Whitetail load shot that poorly...?

Recent Posts