Pre fit or custom chambering

Well, don't let your experience with CA scare you too much. They've had less than stellar reviews lately.

As for Proof, I'm not sure I've seen a bad review. Maybe one or two, but for the most part they get positive feedback and they seem to sell quickly in the used market.

This is the and it's something I didn't know about them until I got one. I remember putting down groups and just saying to myself " this is what I spent my money on really" they are nice to look at but don't deliver. Won't make that mistake again.

Only you can make the decision. I have had very good luck with pre-fits too. As far as the barrel twist, it plays a critical role to properly stabilize the bullets you are going to use.

What chambering are you building?
I'm not 100% on that. I know I want a 300
Wm and I plan on running the terminal ascent through it since it has a strong bullet construction and a pretty good bc at .608 I think.

Absolutely! I just put one of their barrels on my 6.5 Grendel (AR-15) and they guarantee 1 moa accuracy as long as you also let them headspace one of their bolts (or yours) to the barrel you order. I did NEITHER ONE and still got the following results at 100 yards with a well developed load…
View attachment 572326
Hard to ask any more accuracy than that for an AR-15!!! 👍

That's super impressive, love when a build comes together like that!

From what I've seen lately, a prefit is good for 95% of people.
Where a gunsmith comes in handy is when you want a twist, profile, length or chamber that isn't readily available in a prefit.
The MAJORITY of my rifles have prefits...but ALL of them are sub 1/2 MOA. Period.

My 6 Dasher is a Proof Prefit.
View attachment 572332

Those are nice groups there friend
But for my 6.5 PRC for hunting...I wanted an 18" carbon fiber with a fast twist...so I had my smith chamber a blank for me.
View attachment 572334

Beautiful piece you have there. I'm back and forth at the moment. Since I'd have to buy a barrel vice and an action wrench with go/no go gauges it almost just seems easier to give it to someone to do it for me. But at the same time might be worth the small investment to have all the capabilities of being able to swap barrels as I like.
I must ask, it you are buying a prefit w/o an adj system, why are go-no go needed, you control no aspect of it here?
Some manner to measure case growth IMO is all that is needed.

I must ask, it you are buying a prefit w/o an adj system, why are go-no go needed, you control no aspect of it here?

I would get the go/ no go gauge just to make sure it headspace's safely. Proof has a guarantee but blowing up a 300 wm that close to my face and "strong" hand would kind of suck lol

Most prefits use a nut, not a shoulder. How are you going to set headspace without a gauge? If it's a shouldered prefit I'm with you.

I have two smith custom rifles, one of them my F-Class rifle. I have at least 8 rifles with prefits. My two most accurate rifles are the two on custom actions, my F-Class 284 and my 338 Edge. The Edge is a McGowen prefit, the 284 a Bartlein. They group the same. I have several other prefit rifles that shoot right behind them. I have another custom rifle (on a factory action) that won't shoot with most of the prefits (all on factory actions).

I see no disadvantage to prefits unless you want the comfort in a competition rifle. YMMV.

I have two smith custom rifles, one of them my F-Class rifle. I have at least 8 rifles with prefits. My two most accurate rifles are the two on custom actions, my F-Class 284 and my 338 Edge. The Edge is a McGowen prefit, the 284 a Bartlein. They group the same. I have several other prefit rifles that shoot right behind them. I have another custom rifle (on a factory action) that won't shoot with most of the prefits (all on factory actions).

I see no disadvantage to prefits unless you want the comfort in a competition rifle. YMMV.

That's kind of the direction I'm heading is putting it together here at home. I found pre fit proofs for a nice price

Today ups delivered my manners LRH for this build and can I say that it it like nothing I've ever seen before. I now understand why manners is so great. I purchased it off a member on this site Redvanes and he shipped it in perfect condition. I have to give him a shout out he's the man. All I need to do it get this barrel situation figured out and she'll be ready to go.

Proofs are spin on and run, no nut. The go/no go's are insurance.

This was my first 5 shots (top right to find paper) from rifle with new brass and starter load. 6.5 PRC Impact/Proof/Manners. You can't go wrong.

Attachments

• 20230226_110158.jpg
    20230226_110158.jpg
    231.8 KB · Views: 27
Proofs are spin on and run, no nut. The go/no go's are insurance.

This was my first 5 shots (top right to find paper) from rifle with new brass and starter load. 6.5 PRC Impact/Proof/Manners. You can't go wrong.

That's hard to beat. If I can get 3/4 to sure 3/4 I'm happy not sure I can shoot a magnum that good def not better yet