Pre-fit barrels

Mc Fraser

Hello,
I want to move to pre-fit barrels between my two rifles:
  • 300 PRC, Defiance action, carbon wrap barrel chambered by a smith
  • Tikka T3x 300WM all factory.
I have a few questions that I can't seem to wrap my head around:
  • For my Tikka rifle, if I want to buy two pre-fit barrels, one in 7 PRC and another in 300WM (discard the factory barrel).
    • How would I maintain consistent headspace when swamping barrels? I know I should use the go/nogo gauges, but there is a tolerance. All the videos suggest screwing in the barrel until you hit the gauge, back it up a bit and tighten the nut. Wouldnt my distance to lands, change every time I switch?
  • For the Defiance action, most pre-fits don't require a nut; would it be better than the Tikka action?
What I'm asking is, how do I ensure consistent headspace (not back it up a bit) when switching barrels back?

TIA.

I would go with shouldered prefits for your actions rather than those requiring a barrel nut. This would help keep your headspace more consistent. You can get repeatable headspace with a barrel nut, but you need to set it up the exact same way each time (careful use of your gauges or fired brass).

I've done both and prefer a shouldered prefit barrel.

I would go with shouldered prefits for your actions rather than those requiring a barrel nut. This would help keep your headspace more consistent. You can get repeatable headspace with a barrel nut, but you need to set it up the exact same way each time (careful use of your gauges or fired brass).

I've done both and prefer a shouldered prefit barrel.
What do you do with the scope? Switch zeros to follow the barrels?

You will have to re-zero with either when swapping.
It would be an extremely rare case that they will have the same zero... or even close.

I agree with the shouldered prefit for headspace consistency if going in a switch barrel direction.

Now, once you establish a zero for one barrel and swap to another... if you keep count of your clicks to the next zero, you can write it down and go back the opposite way when you swap again.
It's not perfect but should get you close enough to finish zeroing within a couple of rounds.

Last edited:
Hello,
I want to move to pre-fit barrels between my two rifles:
  • 300 PRC, Defiance action, carbon wrap barrel chambered by a smith
  • Tikka T3x 300WM all factory.
I have a few questions that I can't seem to wrap my head around:
  • For my Tikka rifle, if I want to buy two pre-fit barrels, one in 7 PRC and another in 300WM (discard the factory barrel).
    • How would I maintain consistent headspace when swamping barrels? I know I should use the go/nogo gauges, but there is a tolerance. All the videos suggest screwing in the barrel until you hit the gauge, back it up a bit and tighten the nut. Wouldnt my distance to lands, change every time I switch?
  • For the Defiance action, most pre-fits don't require a nut; would it be better than the Tikka action?
What I'm asking is, how do I ensure consistent headspace (not back it up a bit) when switching barrels back?

TIA.
Tikkas come in shouldered pre-fit to.

Why would you get rid of a perfectly good 300wm barrel to replace it with a 300wm barrel?

You will need to go with shouldered prefits and not a nut. As much as I love to build guns with prefits and nuts.

Also, I thought a switch barrel was a great idea until I built one. Not long before I built a second rifle for the other barrel. Just too much hassle.

As others have said, the tolerances on the Tikka actions allow for use of shouldered prefits, just like with your Defiance action. It is one of the reasons why Tikkas have become as popular as they are. They shoot great out of the box, but if you decide to go full looney with it, you can pull it apart and rebuild it without a ton of tools and without the expense of a custom action.

There are several reputable barrel smiths that offer shouldered prefits for Tikkas.