Stock recommendations for Sendero pre-fit

.300 Dakota

Trying to finish a .284 Win project. Putting a CarbonSix Sendero contour Savage small shank pre-fit with barrel nut into an ARC Nucleus 2.0. Looking for suggestions on what stock might work best with the straight taper and barrel nut. Bottom metal is negotiable depending on stock chosen.

Thanks!

My experience over a significant number of barrel nut rigs (rem/age, savage, prefit.on custom) is that a standard barrel channel for varmint contour works well on sendero contoured barrel. Younwould think that the nut would cause you to have to hog out material, when in actuality the nut is simply a replacement for the material that would have been present if it had a shoulder. The only gaps you will have, and they don't look bad, will be where the shouldered barrel would have tapered down from full shank dim. to the beginning of the full length taper. If that isn't clear, hit me up on a PM and I can explain or se d you some photos.

My experience over a significant number of barrel nut rigs (rem/age, savage, prefit.on custom) is that a standard barrel channel for varmint contour works well on sendero contoured barrel. Younwould think that the nut would cause you to have to hog out material, when in actuality the nut is simply a replacement for the material that would have been present if it had a shoulder. The only gaps you will have, and they don't look bad, will be where the shouldered barrel would have tapered down from full shank dim. to the beginning of the full length taper. If that isn't clear, hit me up on a PM and I can explain or se d you some photos.
I have contacted McMillan, and they are willing to inlet everything to fit. While expensive, this will ne about the best option, since some fitting will likely be required on a Remington inlet to get the Nucleus long action to drop in. Now I just have to worry about bottom metal. .300 Mag CIP will be way too big for the .284. Any ideas there?

Well, it sounds like you have made your mind up on the McMillan, but honestly, they always have a crazy long wait. i just don't have the patience for that. Especially not at the price they want for them. Also, I really doubt that you will have any issue with Remington inlet using a Nucleus. They are a 'remington clone pattern'. These action manufacturers do that for a reason, and it is so that the whole remington 700 aftermarket is available to the buyers of those actions. Also, with a barrel nut, it would be asking a lot for anyone to do a perfect let-in that follows the contour of the barrel nut and shank of the barrel. I guess if this is a once-in-a lifetime spare no expense build, you could go that route, but I would certainly clarify what exactly they are gong to do for you, and I would ask to see examples of that some work performed for others before you buy. Why do you think that you need a .300 mag CIP bottom metal. a 284 Winchester cycles beautifully with a standard BDL bottom metal, with 30-06 follower. I have 3 6.5x284s that are all BDL bottom metal (aftermarket BM), built on long actions and there has neve been a need to buy anything exotic to make it work.

I used the Stocky';s carbon fiber stocks. Every thing fit right up. Get your bottom metal from them too. Again, I can send photos if need be.

Well, it sounds like you have made your mind up on the McMillan, but honestly, they always have a crazy long wait. i just don't have the patience for that. Especially not at the price they want for them. Also, I really doubt that you will have any issue with Remington inlet using a Nucleus. They are a 'remington clone pattern'. These action manufacturers do that for a reason, and it is so that the whole remington 700 aftermarket is available to the buyers of those actions. Also, with a barrel nut, it would be asking a lot for anyone to do a perfect let-in that follows the contour of the barrel nut and shank of the barrel. I guess if this is a once-in-a lifetime spare no expense build, you could go that route, but I would certainly clarify what exactly they are gong to do for you, and I would ask to see examples of that some work performed for others before you buy. Why do you think that you need a .300 mag CIP bottom metal. a 284 Winchester cycles beautifully with a standard BDL bottom metal, with 30-06 follower. I have 3 6.5x284s that are all BDL bottom metal (aftermarket BM), built on long actions and there has neve been a need to buy anything exotic to make it work.
ARC says the Nucleus doesn't work with BDL metal. I have that onhand already thinking I was going to use another action - and will eventually for another build. With DBM mags, it seems like there's .308 and then there's .300-length and .338-Length. If they have one for the .30-06, that would be awesome, but haven't seen that advetised. Doesn't mean it's not there. That's why I get on here and ask questions. ARC doesn't even make long action mags in any form, only shor action mods. They sell a nice chassis, but that's 4.6 pounds. The tell me the Nucleus is compatible with all AICS mags eccept AWs. If you can point me to a standard length long-action mag that will fit in a long action M5 or simililar style bottom metal, I'll buy it. They did tell me lots of folks use HS DBM systems, so maybe that's something to look into, though crazy expensive.

I understand your problem better now with the action being cut for a DBM. That makes sense. Understand this as it relates to DBM mags. There is a length and there is a follower. So, .300 is the length that you want but you want a follower that is '308 diameter'. There is also a '300 wm CIP length. I'm pretty sure that is what it is called. I know because I ordered and have the wrong one on hand (might be able to sell it to you). I bought one for .300 and it was the shorter of the two and my 300 WM with 215 bergers was way longer than the standard 300 mag. Maybe text me, so that I don't have to log on to follow this.

Troy 313 570 4879

I've done more than my share of reading on this today, and I think that I would contact ARC and ask them if a standard length long action mag/bottom metal will work. Seems like the CIP is going to be way too long and will cause you trouble in finding proper components. They may also tell you exactly what to buy and from whom if they have run up against this before. I would ask them if there are any hinged floor plate arrangements that work with their long action. Sorry I couldn't be of more help. It it sounds like ARC was only considering the super magnums when they decided on the mag cut for the long action rifles.

Trying to finish a .284 Win project. Putting a CarbonSix Sendero contour Savage small shank pre-fit with barrel nut into an ARC Nucleus 2.0. Looking for suggestions on what stock might work best with the straight taper and barrel nut. Bottom metal is negotiable depending on stock chosen.

Thanks!
There's nothing wrong with the factory H-S Precision stock Senderos come in from the factory.

You can spend a lot more but what you get for the difference in price doesn't make a lot of difference in the field or on the bench.

Hey guys, yeah, I have used more HS stocks than about anything else. Several Boyd's, B&C, 1 Manners, 1 McMillan, a few of Stocky's offerings, and 1 AG Composites. That said, there are several iterations of each, but most especially the most expensive 3.

Keep in mind, my objective is to cut as much weight as possible. This wil need to be a carbon fiber project. Anything with an aluminum block is going to be too heavy. AG Compsites would be my first choice, but not sure how they are at custom inletting. They do inlet for more than they have listed, but you have to contact them, and their customer service isn't on the same level as McMillan's. That wasn't always the case. The one experience I had with McMillan was so bad I held a grudge for nearly 20 years and refused to even consider one. Because I need for somebody designing and machining part of this to kind of be responsive and help walk me through the process avoiding pitfalls, McMillan is the only one stepping up doing that.

That said, I have a guy who can do inlet modifications and get it to fit right if I can get it close to start with. Here's what I found by Googling ".30-06 AICS." I knew there had to be a magazine that would work with a standard long-action cartridge or ARC wouldn't offer a long action standard head combo.

PMags popped up first. There was a warning about sometimes they work, sometimes they don't in the bottom metal. Cheap, but LIGHT!

Next, I found the HS Precision mags in their proprietary bottom metal work well, and can even be flush mimicking a BDL type. Proble there is the long actions are backordered 10 months already. So I start thinking I may have to build another .280 Ackley and use the PMags.

Finally, I found what I needed! ACCURATE MAG!!! Read the reviews and guys are running the .30-06 family and .284 Wins in these with no issues! I can seat to COAL of 3.715", I believe, which by all accounts were more than was needed for what everyone was loading. Found a place with like 3 left, so I snatched 1 up. Cost a cool $300.35 shipped, but still cheaper than HS and without a 10-month wait. The best part is the bottom metal in this length was under 4 ounces! Steel magazine was close to the same. I can still get a polymer PMag and modify it to save another ounce if I want to.

So I had this nice CarbonSix .284 Savage small shank prefit in .284 I intended to use on this, BUT Dave Kiff finally came through and my 6.5 WBY RPM reamer and Go gauge came in today! Got a box of 130gr Sierra Tipped Game Kings in yeaterday... I'm going to have to think really hard for a good reason not to get a shouldered barrel for this thing now! I could get another pre-fit done with the reamer and switch back and forth with the 2, but there's no need to. Whichever one I build will be the one I use for everything. I actually have a drawing of a wildcat based in the 6.5 RPM necked up and improved, but that's an additional $380 for tooling plus 5 months plus lots of wasted components and time fireforming. I believe at this point, I'm going shouldered barrel, and I want it no larger than .700" at the muzzle and fluted to get as much weight off as possible. Also, I want to leave it as ling as possible. Weatherby missed the mark on an otherwise great design. They only offer this chambering in slim 24" barrels. I'm seeing many reports of .94 - .96" 3-shot 100yd groups from the highest end Mark V. Typical Weatherby. I believe this can be a great cartridge and very capable for most all North American game. It needs enough barrel to burn all the extremely slow powders it ahould be fed. You could basically interchange data feom the .264 Win Mag. Weatherby didn't put much freebore in the design, either. I have .250" in my wildcat design. Dave's reamer I got today is all SAAMI. It will fit nicely in the 3.715" box.

Yeah, I talked to ARC about the bottom metals, and basically, it will run anything in AICS pattern up CIP Lapua-length mags. You just have to get the right bottom metal to gonwith your mags of choice (or vice versa is how I look at it). He said the only thing it wouldn't work with was AW mags and BDL bottom metal.

So I can't find much info on Accurate Mag inlets. I can talk back to my man at McMillan, but what I'm going to so first, is get the assembly in hand, then see how close it is to dropping in a BDL inlet. If it isn't far off, I can just order an AG Composites Visigoth (lightest weight option for a decent sized barrel) in BDL and have my guy inlet it to fit. In the meantime, I can talk to both McMillan and AG, if I can get the latter to answer or respond to emails, and see if they would do the inlet. McMillan was offering to take my components and inlet the stock to exactly fit what I had! That's a pretty darn good option!

What I should end up with is bottom metal with mag weighing in under 1/2 pound, trigger (have to figure that out next! Thinking TriggerTech Special 2-stage) about 3 ounces, stock about 26 ounces, action 34 ounces (or an ounce or so less if I have the bolt sent off and fluted and the knob replaced with a carbon fiber one), and a barrel finishing right about 4 pounds, but maybe as light as 3 lbs 12 or 13 ounces. Trying to stay under 8 pounds, but it's going to be tough. Probably in 6.5 RPM with something like a 26 1/2 - 27" barrel of magnum sporter contour. May need to get LRI to do some really aggressive fluting. Should be fun... and expensive. Just don't want to buy twice because I bought wrong the first time.

Hey guys, yeah, I have used more HS stocks than about anything else. Several Boyd's, B&C, 1 Manners, 1 McMillan, a few of Stocky's offerings, and 1 AG Composites. That said, there are several iterations of each, but most especially the most expensive 3.

Keep in mind, my objective is to cut as much weight as possible. This wil need to be a carbon fiber project. Anything with an aluminum block is going to be too heavy. AG Compsites would be my first choice, but not sure how they are at custom inletting. They do inlet for more than they have listed, but you have to contact them, and their customer service isn't on the same level as McMillan's. That wasn't always the case. The one experience I had with McMillan was so bad I held a grudge for nearly 20 years and refused to even consider one. Because I need for somebody designing and machining part of this to kind of be responsive and help walk me through the process avoiding pitfalls, McMillan is the only one stepping up doing that.

That said, I have a guy who can do inlet modifications and get it to fit right if I can get it close to start with. Here's what I found by Googling ".30-06 AICS." I knew there had to be a magazine that would work with a standard long-action cartridge or ARC wouldn't offer a long action standard head combo.

PMags popped up first. There was a warning about sometimes they work, sometimes they don't in the bottom metal. Cheap, but LIGHT!

Next, I found the HS Precision mags in their proprietary bottom metal work well, and can even be flush mimicking a BDL type. Proble there is the long actions are backordered 10 months already. So I start thinking I may have to build another .280 Ackley and use the PMags.

Finally, I found what I needed! ACCURATE MAG!!! Read the reviews and guys are running the .30-06 family and .284 Wins in these with no issues! I can seat to COAL of 3.715", I believe, which by all accounts were more than was needed for what everyone was loading. Found a place with like 3 left, so I snatched 1 up. Cost a cool $300.35 shipped, but still cheaper than HS and without a 10-month wait. The best part is the bottom metal in this length was under 4 ounces! Steel magazine was close to the same. I can still get a polymer PMag and modify it to save another ounce if I want to.

So I had this nice CarbonSix .284 Savage small shank prefit in .284 I intended to use on this, BUT Dave Kiff finally came through and my 6.5 WBY RPM reamer and Go gauge came in today! Got a box of 130gr Sierra Tipped Game Kings in yeaterday... I'm going to have to think really hard for a good reason not to get a shouldered barrel for this thing now! I could get another pre-fit done with the reamer and switch back and forth with the 2, but there's no need to. Whichever one I build will be the one I use for everything. I actually have a drawing of a wildcat based in the 6.5 RPM necked up and improved, but that's an additional $380 for tooling plus 5 months plus lots of wasted components and time fireforming. I believe at this point, I'm going shouldered barrel, and I want it no larger than .700" at the muzzle and fluted to get as much weight off as possible. Also, I want to leave it as ling as possible. Weatherby missed the mark on an otherwise great design. They only offer this chambering in slim 24" barrels. I'm seeing many reports of .94 - .96" 3-shot 100yd groups from the highest end Mark V. Typical Weatherby. I believe this can be a great cartridge and very capable for most all North American game. It needs enough barrel to burn all the extremely slow powders it ahould be fed. You could basically interchange data feom the .264 Win Mag. Weatherby didn't put much freebore in the design, either. I have .250" in my wildcat design. Dave's reamer I got today is all SAAMI. It will fit nicely in the 3.715" box.

Yeah, I talked to ARC about the bottom metals, and basically, it will run anything in AICS pattern up CIP Lapua-length mags. You just have to get the right bottom metal to gonwith your mags of choice (or vice versa is how I look at it). He said the only thing it wouldn't work with was AW mags and BDL bottom metal.

So I can't find much info on Accurate Mag inlets. I can talk back to my man at McMillan, but what I'm going to so first, is get the assembly in hand, then see how close it is to dropping in a BDL inlet. If it isn't far off, I can just order an AG Composites Visigoth (lightest weight option for a decent sized barrel) in BDL and have my guy inlet it to fit. In the meantime, I can talk to both McMillan and AG, if I can get the latter to answer or respond to emails, and see if they would do the inlet. McMillan was offering to take my components and inlet the stock to exactly fit what I had! That's a pretty darn good option!

What I should end up with is bottom metal with mag weighing in under 1/2 pound, trigger (have to figure that out next! Thinking TriggerTech Special 2-stage) about 3 ounces, stock about 26 ounces, action 34 ounces (or an ounce or so less if I have the bolt sent off and fluted and the knob replaced with a carbon fiber one), and a barrel finishing right about 4 pounds, but maybe as light as 3 lbs 12 or 13 ounces. Trying to stay under 8 pounds, but it's going to be tough. Probably in 6.5 RPM with something like a 26 1/2 - 27" barrel of magnum sporter contour. May need to get LRI to do some really aggressive fluting. Should be fun... and expensive. Just don't want to buy twice because I bought wrong the first time.
If that's the criteria I'd highly recommend the McMillian Hunters Edge.

I have one on a custom M70 375 Ruger and it's like carrying a popgun around.

Recent Posts