Pre fit or custom chambering

This is going to be my backcountry build so I think I need the gun to be the best it can be to account for my own shooting fail points lol
On my full custom builds (wildcats) so I have the reamers made by Manson. On my latest build, I also have a sizing reamer, and my GS built me my hydraulic forming and reloading die sets.

I compete in PRS and I am shooting a lot of rounds through a PRS rifle. I started with a Joe Walls custom rifle (Impact 737 action) with one of his 6 Dasher Krieger prefits (shot great), replaced with a Proof Competition Contour in 6 Dasher (shoots great, going strong 1500+ rounds), and there is another new in box Proof Competition Contour 6 Dasher in my shop when Proof #1 goes or hits 2500 rounds.

I have used prefits on my Tikkas and my older "non prefit capable" Stiller Spectre I use a barrel nut ReMage barrel.

Prefits perform for me, are cheaper, and faster turnaround vs gunsmith (in my experience).

Proof keeps its prices down by offering a limited selection of contours, lengths, calibers - I am fine with that as I appreciate the cost savings. There are other shops that offer a wider selection of prefits or you can go to a gunsmith and get a full "custom" experience.

Attachments

• IMG_4132[39370].jpg
    IMG_4132[39370].jpg
    276.4 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_3487.JPG
    IMG_3487.JPG
    299.4 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_4468.jpg
    IMG_4468.jpg
    309 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:

I compete in PRS and I am shooting a lot of rounds through a PRS rifle. I started with a Joe Walls custom rifle (Impact 737 action) with one of his 6 Dasher Krieger prefits (shot great), replaced with a Proof Competition Contour in 6 Dasher (shoots great, going strong 1500+ rounds), and there is another new in box Proof Competition Contour 6 Dasher in my shop when Proof #1 goes or hits 2500 rounds.

I have used prefits on my Tikkas and my older "non prefit capable" Stiller Spectre I use a barrel nut ReMage barrel.

Prefits perform for me, are cheaper, and faster turnaround vs gunsmith (in my experience).

Proof keeps its prices down by offering a limited selection of contours, lengths, calibers - I am fine with that as I appreciate the cost savings. There are other shops that offer a wider selection of prefits or you can go to a gunsmith and get a full "custom" experience.

Beautiful piece you have there. I'm back and forth at the moment. Since I'd have to buy a barrel vice and an action wrench with go/no go gauges it almost just seems easier to give it to someone to do it for me. But at the same time might be worth the small investment to have all the capabilities of being able to swap barrels as I like.

On my full custom builds (wildcats) so I have the reamers made by Manson. On my latest build, I also have a sizing reamer, and my GS built me my hydraulic forming and reloading die sets.

Reloading is the next aspect of shooting I'm dreading to get into. I blame my dad for getting me into this hobby drugs seem cheaper 😂

Reloading is the next aspect of shooting I'm dreading to get into. I blame my dad for getting me into this hobby drugs seem cheaper 😂
Don't let it scare you, it's not Rockett surgery. I feel you on the money though. But if this is your first build you have barely scratched the surface on what the addiction is going to cost you hahaa. Welcome!!

Don't let it scare you, it's not Rockett surgery. I feel you on the money though. But if this is your first build you have barely scratched the surface on what the addiction is going to cost you hahaa. Welcome!!

I love it but my wallet doesn't lol. One build at a time I suppose

I have both. On paper you wouldn't tell the difference. I don't have a proof. The only prefit I have is a criterian. Bought it from a guy who won it at a fund raiser. I knew the smith and wanted it. It will shoot lights out for what it's worth.

I have both. On paper you wouldn't tell the difference. I don't have a proof. The only prefit I have is a criterian. Bought it from a guy who won it at a fund raiser. I knew the smith and wanted it. It will shoot lights out for what it's worth.

At some point I think about diminishing returns. If I can build it to shoot 3/4 or better with a variety of factory ammo I'll be happy and I think that's easy with pre fits.

Be thankful you have your Dad to blame. My late Dad fished but did not hunt or reload, which is one of the reasons I made sure my sons had the experiences to move forward.