Pre fit or custom chambering

308_Branden

Just wanted to see what everyone thinks of proof pre fits vs having a smith fit and chamber a barrel? Thanks for the info, looking to slap a proof prefit on a defiance and or having a smith do the chambering work.

Just wanted to see what everyone thinks of proof pre fits vs having a smith fit and chamber a barrel? Thanks for the info, looking to slap a proof prefit on a defiance and or having a smith do the chambering work.
If you want to achieve as much accuracy as possible, I recommend having a competent/reputable gunsmith chamber it. I went with C6 over Proof on my Defiance Anti-X .338 Thor custom-built rifle. Having said that, I know a few who have luck and are happy with their Proof Research pre-fits. Good luck!

I don't have experience with a pre-fit but I know lots of people are happy with them. Personally, I only like one person with their hands on my rifle parts from start to finish. Just seems better that way to me.

I could see how a pre-fit would help with time constraints if a guy was under a quick deadline to get something put together. If not, my vote goes to a smith you like and trust to chamber it!

I don't have experience with a pre-fit but I know lots of people are happy with them. Personally, I only like one person with their hands on my rifle parts from start to finish. Just seems better that way to me.

I could see how a pre-fit would help with time constraints if a guy was under a quick deadline to get something put together. If not, my vote goes to a smith you like and trust to chamber it!
I have my GS chamber my full custom rifles and use pre-fits with my DIY semi-custom budget builds with very good success.

Like @FEENIX I've went both ways on builds and honestly you'd be hard pressed to quantify the difference(s) "on target" between the two….as long as reputable barrel authorities were utilized.
However, if it were "me" and I was using a nice Defiance action I'd go ahead and let a competent Smith spin up a barrel for it. 😉

Common sense and good machining practices make it clear that while the barrel is indicated in the lathe and you're threading, it's better to go ahead and cut the chamber. Both processes are then on the same center line.

:)

You specifically mention Proof prefits. I would be leery, mostly because you don't get a lot of say in reamer choice, and length of the barrel.
We can shoot, 22, 24, and 26" barrels, but god forbid we use a 23 or 25" one. <This is miniscule.
If a custom builder offers prefits, of any brand, and has a reputation, and is reachable, I would use a prefit today in a heartbeat. Because he will make you the prefit.

That said, my first Rim X 22LR used a Proof carbon prefit, 20". I was under the assumption Evolved Ballistics did the work. All things considered, and there are many, distances, factory ammo, atmospheric conditions, it was the most accurate rifle I've ever shot.

I have contemplated this as well. I know and accept my limitations. There are many things that I have taken on simply for the self satisfaction and learning experience. However, I also understand there are things that are best handled by competent professionals.

Put together 5 prefits last year. 3 Impact 737Rs, 1 Kelbly Atlas Tactical, and 1 Zermatt Origin.
2 Proof Prefit Barrels
1 Stutteville Precision Prefit (Bartlein blank)
1 Preferred Barrel Prefit
1 Bullet Central Prefit (Bartlein blank)
They all went together without a fuss provided you have the appropriate tools. And have access to Go / No-Go gauges

If I had a good smith local to me, then I'd rather go with a blank and have them cut, thread, chamber it specifically to my action.

I've mailed out my actions before to have them custom barreled, but that adds anxiety while it ships back and forth.

I've done prefits before too for lots of different actions. All of them have shot well.

Basically, it if were convenient for me, then I'd prefer custom, but it's not so I've done a lot more prefits than custom.

What I am trying to do now is reduce the number of places that I get prefits. This way, at least the reamers and chamber specs that I'm getting are the same or close to the same.

I have contemplated this as well. I know and accept my limitations. There are many things that I have taken on simply for the self satisfaction and learning experience. However, I also understand there are things that are best handled by competent professionals.
Back when the Remage, Bug nut, and more came out, I felt the same way, and asked why. I was dreading the day that I'd be at the range and some clown decided to swap barrels, just because it was cool.
But I do feel all prefits are not created equal.

With todays machining tolerances, I feel different about the whole thing.