Pre 64 model 70 bolt fit

lhedrick1

I have a serial range 243XXX model 70 receiver/barrel/trigger in 30-06. I purchased a bolt that is #148XXX that was supposedly for a standard 270/06.

The bolt only goes in about half way. The first bit is smooth and then noticeably tighter until it won't go in any further. Is this something that can be fit or is it a design issue between eras that is causing the poor fit?

I don't know much about the model 70 action but you're basically going to have to figure out where its binding and then why? Is the action or the bolt bent? Is there a build up of crud?
Try stripping the bolt down and remove the trigger, bolt release and scope mount/rail. Then work with those two pieces, action and bolt, to figure out where those two pieces are interfering

Last edited:
Those bolts are fairly loose. Something is pretty off for it to bind. I've got a model 54, which is very very similar, and have cycled multiple m54 and m70 bolts through it without any problems.

Check the bolt and receiver for warpage. Guessing something is bent. Might also check the bolt stop and make sure it's isn't putting unnecessary upward pressure on the bolt.

This is assuming both bolt and receiver are actually pre-64.

Try removing the Extractor(easy to do), and see if it still binds. If something was going to be bent or previously replaced, this could be the source that could cause binding, and would be the first place to check. Also make sure that it's properly installed, and there is no crud build-up causing improper fit. I have seen them vary in dimension based on the year of manufacture.

Those bolts are fairly loose. Something is pretty off for it to bind. I've got a model 54, which is very very similar, and have cycled multiple m54 and m70 bolts through it without any problems.

Check the bolt and receiver for warpage. Guessing something is bent. Might also check the bolt stop and make sure it's isn't putting unnecessary upward pressure on the bolt.

This is assuming both bolt and receiver are actually pre-64.

Bolt and receiver have pre-64 era serial #s. Nothing appears to be bent by the naked eye but I suppose so.ething could be off a few thousandths and cause the binding.

I will bet it is the extractor.
There were several changes to them, although slight, the biggest issue I have run into is the extractor collar. The Mauser '98's have the same issue.
Just as the collar hits the rear bridge everything comes to a halt due to mismatch in diameter.
Remove the extractor and collar by pressing the extractor up and away from the bolt body and sliding rearwards, it should pop off easily, then remove the collar and try the bolt in the raceway.

Let us know how you get on.

Cheers.
P. S.
Pics would help a lot.

I remember something liked this happening to me. Winchester bolt had a Mauser collar and locked things up. Soon as I got the proper collar, problem solved.

There are also some variations in extractors. Everything has to match up at least enough to keep things functioning.

Bolt and receiver have pre-64 era serial #s. Nothing appears to be bent by the naked eye but I suppose so.ething could be off a few thousandths and cause the binding.
Yes it could. Smoke it up with a candle or use black felt marker on any part of it and see if it shows excessive contact.